Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 May 2003 11:12:10 -0700
From:         Steve Schwenk <Steve@SYNCRO.ORG>
Subject:      Syncro de Mayo Update
Comments: To: "Syncro@yahoogroups.com" <Syncro@yahoogroups.com>,
          syncrolist@yahoogroups.com

I am pleased to announce that www.eurocampers.com will be a sponsor of Syncro de Mayo again this year and will be providing some prizes for the awards ceremony. On a side note, I just got a set of the insulated window coverings from Steve at Eurocampers.com, which he imports from Germany, and am very happy with them. They are custom fit for the vanagon, well made and work great. We tested them camping in Death Vally 3 weeks ago and they definitely keep the van cooler under the desert sun during the day, and toasty at night. Never needed the heater! And they black out the daylight for late sleep-ins. A big improvement over the foil covered bubble wrap insulation i had used previously. You can see the front window cover at work here: http://a2.cpimg.com/image/F2/A4/18821362-343e-028001E0-.jpg

Planning for the event is proceeding well. We have a crew in place who will be pre-running the trails on Thurs. so we can map everything out according to actual conditions and hopefully put together a couple of recommended "loops" based on difficulty, one for beginners and one for the more experienced daredevils. This will permit easy & safe touring for those unfamiliar with the park trails. It should also make for an adventurous Thursday!

In addition, we will be having an off-road driving clinic on Saturday a.m. A few of the more experienced off-roaders will give short lectures on how to handle various types of obstacles, followed by demos of how it is done. The class will precede the Obstacle Course Challenge session on Sat. morning and should last about an hour or so.

It is looking like the visit to the local wineries (very close to the park) will take place Friday late afternoon. Saturday is going to be too full of other things.

There should be a fairly decent turnout on Thurs. this year. Friday looks great. I think we have succeeded in squeezing a full extra day into the event so that now all that work packing and traveling will be for more than just one full day of .... fun, adventure and relaxation.

There will be group dinners in town Thurs. and Fri. evenings. Felipes Mex. Rest. in San Juan Batista (313 3rd street) is good, and there are several others within \a couple of blocks, as well as others in Hollister. Good food!

The Sat. BBQ is being planned by a pro, (Brent C.) and should be great. It will be a hybrid potluck: we will be providing the main meal, but encourage and ask that you bring a salad, desert, hors d'oeuvres, cocktails, wine, whatever you can, if you can. In the past people have really come through with some great dishes. The variety and the sharing of food really enhance the experience. There will be a pre-dinner cocktail social as well.

If your plans change and you need to adjust your arrival times (from what is stated in your registration), no problem. We can take care of it at the park when you arrive. As usual, day visitors, late arrivals, stragglers and last minute vagabonds, including 2WD vans, are welcome. Just show up!

Try to borrow a walkie talkie or CB if you don't have one. They are nice to have out on the trails. Please do not forget to bring two pieces of firewood (or more) for the group fires. And there will be music, so bring your instruments!

Steve http://www.syncro.org/syncrodemayo.shtml