Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 May 2003 18:31:24 -0700
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Synthetic oil......sceptic no more!
Comments: To: simon@FARRSIDE.NET

I've about got my calculations completed here. With ten cars you could run each one 6000 miles and never change the oil on any of them for about a two year cycle. Just keep alternating to a fresh car every 6000 miles then buy 20 gallons of Mobil one to change the oil in your fleet and restart the cycle again after all your oil changes. Cool strategy ..............

Stan Wilder

On Wed, 21 May 2003 17:08:08 -0600 Simon <simon@FARRSIDE.NET> writes: > Want a testimonial? > I've run Mobil 1 in every single one of the cars listed below- each > car > had never had synthetic oil as far as I could ascertain. > > 1981 Jetta > 1981 Rabbit > 1984 GTI > 1986 Vanagon (with 1989 Audi 80 motor) > 1987 Scirocco 16V > 1988 Ford Ranger V6 > 1992 Corrado VR6 > 1994 Jetta GLX > 1995 Passat GLX > 1996 Jetta Trek > > Results? > The Ford seeped a little at the oil pan. > The Corrado seeped a little at the rear main- but there's some > debate > as to whether that leak was pre-existing, and whether the actual > problem is that that particular Corrado was a major piece of... > junk. > The Vanagon, the 16V Scirocco, and all the cars with VR6 engines > would > get 2 seconds' worth of lifter noise if they hadn't been run for > more > than a couple of days. > Probably, all of the VW inline engines would have leaked at the > front > seals, but I tend to replace those seals as one of the first things > I > do when I get a new car, so we'll never know. > > Every single one of these cars had some sort of temperature gauge, > and > several had one for water AND one for oil. > Every single gauge read lower within 10 miles of the switch to > synthetic, and stayed lower under all driving conditions. > The VR6 cars had digital oil temperature gauges, and they ALL > averaged > 10 degrees cooler under all driving conditions. > The VR6 cars also had digital MPG gauges, and I noticed (I was > looking > for it) that I gained at least 2 MPG in all of them, with a high of > 4 > in the '94 Jetta! > > All that being said... I run Delo 400 in all of my cars now. I like > that my lifters aren't noisy on "dry" starts, and that it's > cheaper. > > All tests... such as they were... were conducted in Colorado over > the > last 6 years, mostly in the Front Range near Denver, and commutes > down > to Denver, with some long-distance stuff mixed in. > > HTH! > > Simon > >

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!