Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 May 2003 23:02:43 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oil Light / Buzzer despite NORMAL pressure
Comments: To: "Benjamin E. Beasley" <bbeasley@MIX.WVU.EDU>

There is lots of info in the archives. Cutting the wires makes things worse.

The dynamic oil pressure warning system is designed to be fail safe. There are basically two circuits.

The low speed-pressure system consists of a low pressure switch sensing oil pressure at the lowest pressure point in the system, the center cam bearing. The switch is a .3 bar switch the normally closed (in your hand) that opens when there is sufficient pressure. At low engine speeds, this switch being closed will cause the oil pressure warning light to turn on or flash, depending on year.

The higher speed-pressure system consists of .9 bar switch, located close to the oil pump discharge. It is before the oil filter and oil pressure relief valve. This switch is normally open, (in your hand) and closes when there is sufficient oil pressure for it to activate. The control board looks at this switch when the engine speed is ~2,200 rpm and above. If this switch does not close at speed, the warning light will flash and the buzzer will sound. This is an attempt to get your attention as insufficient oil pressure will quickly result in engine damage when under load. This feature was added as only having the low pressure warning system was useless, particularly on the inline 4 engines which do not have cam bearings. Loss of oil pressure results in a trashed head very quickly. At speed, the low pressure warning does nothing more than let you know your engine is gone. Take the time to properly fix the warning system or get a gauge set up.

Dennis