Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 May 2003 23:51:08 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      HELP - My Westfalia won't start when warm - may have to cancel
              camping!

Over the last week my 1986 Westfalia Joker has been getting harder to start - mostly when warm.

The engine is a 112hp DJ motor with Digijet injection - same injection system as our 83.5-85 Vanagons.

Sometimes, when starting cold you need to crank it for about 10 seconds and it will slowly catch and then slowly begin to 'spin up' to speed with LOTS of white smoke coming out the back end. The exhaust is VERY rich. After about 2 minutes all is normal and you would never know anything is wrong. Tonight, when it was cold (out side temp about 10C) it fired up first shot, then I drove for 15 minutes and it WOULD NOT start until it sat for about 30 minutes.

Lately when it is at operation temp or close to it, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get it to start. You basically have to let it cool down a bit and crank it for about 30 seconds before it starts. Then you are back to the smelly exhaust semi-rough running until about 2 minutes are up.

Fuel consumption is up a little over the previous weeks.

Things I have done to trouble shoot.

- Swap the air flow meter with a known to work unit - Swap the fuel pressure reg with a known to work unit - Replace cap, rotor, plugs and check resistance of coil and wires - OK - Check timing - OK

The only thing I have not tested due to a lack of time (I quit at 23:30) is the temp II sensor. Besides that, what else would be plaguing me?

I hate gasoline motors! Once the TDI is in there it will be much better! :)

Suggestions PLEASE as I am about to entertain my friend from Germany this weekend to some nice camping - if I can ever get it started reliably!

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel-Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

- Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - European Lighting for most Volkswagen models