Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 May 2003 07:36:25 -0700
From:         Jeffrey Earl <jefferrata@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      We all have our demons (was "2.1L Vanagon engine still possessed
              by demons")
Comments: cc: vw@emriver.com

Steve,

I recently visited your nice webpage www.emriver.com/vandemon.htm and read about your Digifant Demons, even though I drive a diesel and thus have no worries regarding Vanagon Syndrome (diesels have their own syndromes, believe me).

Nonetheless, I was curious. Bored too. But mostly just curious.

So, with a secretive glance over my shoulder, I surreptitiously clicked the link to download your movie. Anyone watching my furtive gestures would have undoubtedly assumed I was about to download some porn, and as I impatiently watched the little QuickTime progress bar, I wondered to myself just exactly what I expected to see. What I WANTED to see, and why.

When the movie was all spooled up and ready to go, I played it. And let me tell you, it was great: the intimate home-movie look, the avant-garde shakiness of a handheld camera, even the ominous single subtitle compelling me to "note backfiring".

Although it was far too short, I enjoyed it immensely. And that's what scares me. I've only been subscribing to the Vanagon list for two months now, and yet here I am -- reading intently about a mechanical problem I'll never have, watching with rapt attention someone else's cantankerous old engine, running badly and coughing smoke.

I'm sorry, but I have no answers for you regarding your Vanagon, as much as I would love the hundred bucks. I am confident that there are many others here more experienced than I in such matters, and I wish you luck in finding a solution to the engine problems which plague your beloved Westy.

But by directing your camera to your engine compartment, you have also cast a light upon my very soul, and what I see reflected there is quite sad. When it was over, I sat there gazing slack-jawed at the final, frozen image of your blurry tailpipe. And yet, like the pathetic junkie who needs his fix, I was not satisfied. I wanted -- no, NEEDED -- more. I craved another hit. Had I really become such a Vanageek?

As if in silent reply, a bead of sweat formed on my furrowed brow, trickled down, and dripped from the end of my nose. My breathing quickened and my finger trembled on the mouse. And then I took that final dark plunge into the depths of Vanagon addiction: I played it again ...

God help me!

God help us all ...

Jeffrey Earl 1983 diesel Westfalia "Vanasazi"