Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 May 2003 07:02:26 -0400
From:         Vanagon man <vgonman@MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: 009 parts question
Comments: To: Simplstupd@AOL.COM

> My '82 has an 009 installed. But, the cap, rotor, points, and condenser are > all for the correct 82 distributor. The 009 uses totally different parts. > > Obviously the current setup is fine, just wondering what the -best- setup is. > Yes, I know the 009 is totally "wrong" for the type 4, but it is working > GREAT and I have no desire to go back to the orig setup at this point. Just > gathering tune up parts for the future.

I assure you it is NOT working great. It may feel that way, but no offense, that is from lack of experience driving a tuned vanagon. If it feels all right, then someone has timed the 009 at full advance, which would be fine, considering its much smaller advance curve. But at idle is where your problems are hidden. Someone has done a lot of tweeking to the bypass screws, and the idle adjustment to make it idle at a low speed.800 rpms or so, or else maybe you are just idling at 2K rpms, and that is great......who knows? I bet this car has all the fuel injection removed , too, by some genius that put on a Weber 2 barrel......seen many of those over the years, too.

Main thing is that this needs to be on top of your list of things to fix. > > Take Care > Paul >