Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 May 2003 08:19:40 -0700
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Need help with an electrical(?) problem, '87 Syncro
Comments: cc: caliaudis4@yahoo.com

Bob, It is difficult to make any suggestion as I am uncertain of the details of the problem? When you say the "ignition shuts off abruptly" at face value this suggest that you have a problem with the ignition switch? Take a deep breath and provide a more additional details. It sounds like the engine turns over but does not start? If so does the engine spark? Does the fuel pump run. When you explain a problem with enough detail you often define the problem? regards gary Message: 3 Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 03:18:01 -0000 From: "caliaudis4" <caliaudis4@yahoo.com> Subject: Need help with an electrical(?) problem, '87 Syncro

My '87 Syncro just started demonstrating a severe, but intermittent, electrical problem. On a cold start, I can drive 5-10 miles, and the ignition shuts off abruptly. The tach immediately drops to '0' RPM, and the vehicle bucks to a stop until the clutch is depressed. I can't get it to run longer than 2-10 seconds without abruptly 'shutting off', until it has 6-8 hours to cool to ambient temperature. I have checked the idle control and Halls units, bypassed the idle control unit, and changed out the ECU, without any change in symptoms. The Syncro has the Digifant F.I. system.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have a clue as to what might be wrong or where else I might look to diagnose this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bob