Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 May 2003 00:58:17 -0700
From:         Antaki <wrack@ATTBI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Towing a Vanagon?
Comments: To: Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM>

>Who likes being toad ?

You're just trying to ribbit in, aren't you? Besides, a frog once told me, Time's fun when you're having flies! And be careful not to bump your head into the tadpole.

Sorry,

Ron

'86 SW - Quadrat '88 Wolfie - Bluberry 'etc.

Sometimes I wonder if that's me in the future, you know, towing the Westfalia behind the motor home?

Naw, We don't need Trendwest for the Westy. We have trendwesty.

Who likes being toad ?

Robert

1982 Westfalia

----Original Message Follows---- From: Jeffrey Schwaia <jeff@TSSGI.COM> Reply-To: Jeffrey Schwaia <jeff@TSSGI.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Towing a Vanagon? Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 22:07:40 -0700

Just last week I watched a diesel pusher RV that was pulling a nice Vanagon with a towbar run away from me going at least 80MPH. The van was tracking nicely, no problems. Lots of braking power on one of those big RVs though.

Cheers,

Jeff

The answer is the tow bar. I bought a Reese towbar at Camping Whirled for 140.00.

It has two brackets that attach to the bumper- not the valance, and holes have to be drilled for the brackets.

The bars then attach with quick-release pins.

I have towed a Vanagon 500 miles with one. There are some limitations to towing this way-no freeway driving, 50 mph max speed. No brakes for the tow vehicle so your tow vehicle better have good brakes.

I can e-mail pictures

Robert

1982 Westfalia

----Original Message Follows---- From: Frank Miller <fmiller01@SBCGLOBAL.NET> Reply-To: Frank Miller <fmiller01@SBCGLOBAL.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Towing a Vanagon? Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 10:30:50 -0400

How in the world do you hook onto the front bumper? I looked at this option a while ago & never could find a solution short of removing the flimsy front bumper & welding some attachment points to the bumper mounting points. -- Frank Miller

Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 18:46:30 -0700 From: Jeffrey Schwaia <jeff@TSSGI.COM> Subject: Re: Towing a Vanagon?

I've also seen several large RVs pulling Vanagons that had the hitch hooked to the front bumper. Once again, the vans were tracking straight and true, one of them even passed me going 80MPH on I-80.

So I guess I'm trying to say that I've seen both methods used without issue.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jeff

Robert 1982 Westfalia 1987 Wolfsburg