Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 May 2003 11:05:31 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: master cylinder, where is it
Comments: To: brian Honan <cartruckbus@HOTMAIL.COM>

Brian, the brake and clutch fluid reservoir are the same tank. It is located directly in from of the driver, behind the instruments. You access it by removing the instrument pod cover. When seated in the driver seat, reach forward with both hands to the back (towards the front of the van) of the cover and you will feel two detents - one right and one left. Pull towards you and lift up at the same time. Should pop right off. Remove the wiring connector that goes to the float switch then unscrew the float/tank cap carefully. If needed you can add fluid there.

The tank is clear (almost) plastic and if you look close you will see little arrows on the side that will indicate the upper and lower fill limits. The book says use DOT 4 brake fluid. I stick by that. Get mine from NAPA in a one liter plastic bottle.

When filling, I recommend you get a turkey basting syringe and a piece of clear plastic tubing. Fit the tubing on the end og the syringe, suck up some fluid and put the end of the tube in the reservoir, then squeeze. Much less muss and fuss. No spillage down into the inner works behind the dash, where conceivably brake fluid could casue a problem.

The brake master cylinder is directly under the fluid tank. They are attached together and if you ever have to change out the master cylinder you will pull the tank as well. Because the tanks serves both brakes and clutch systems, you will need that turkey baster to change and bleed both systems, so you might as well get that turkey baster so you can suck the fluid out of the tank before doing the job.Otherwise ---- one big mess!!!

The clutch master cylinder is down by the floor next to the steering colum, and the hose that feeds ti with fluid connects on the upper right side of the brake/clutch fluid tank. To change the clutch master you do not have to remove the hose from the fluid tank, but you will need to disconnect it from the clutch master down at the flour. This is where the vise grips come in handy to pinch the hose shut and cut off the fluid.

The brake master will take a little while to change, but it is straight forward, and an easy "DO". Bleeding the brakes is simple as well if you have a helper. I found it totally unnecessary to use a MightyVac or anything like that to bleed the brakes, though many do. Like I said, with a helper is is an easy "Do".

Should you change out the clutch master (assuming a manual tranny) there is a copper washer on the thing that you want to be absolutely certain of not losing, because it will leak big time if you lose it, and they do not come with the new replacement unit. If you are careful not to lose to much fluid when changing the clutch master, you can get by with pumping the clutch pedal between 25 and 50 times to gert it to bleed air from the hose. from the tank to the master cylinder. Easy done.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver