Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 May 2003 18:28:44 -0400
From:         lauterba <lauterba@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: A/C Success (long)
Comments: To: "Benjamin E. Beasley" <bbeasley@MIX.WVU.EDU>

Ben, from your questions, it appears that you may not have had training in dealing with system under pressure or vacuum. Such systems can be hazardous to your health if you don't know what you are doing and are not wearing the proper safety equipment. Likewise, the refrigerants themselves are toxic and you should have training in the use of these substances before using them (note: I do toxicology for a living).

I learned my A/C from watching some truly great craftspeople make and install refrigeration and HVAC systems in the labs that I have managed over the years. Likewise, I have had more than my share of experiences with high pressure and high vacuum lab equipment (mass spectrometers, in particular).

Last summer the A/C on my vacation failed as water vapor had gotten into the system through some leaky Schrader valves. Since I had used Freeze-12, none of the local automotive A/C shops wanted to take my money to fix the system.

I went out and purchased my own vacuum pump. It is a two-stage direct drive rotary pump from www.bestech.com . Yes, it was the better part of $300, but if nothing else, my Son will need it when he gets old enough for science fairs. I got the refrigerant and receiver-drier from list vendors. The other stuff I needed, including the gauge set, I got from Pep Boys, AutoZone, and my local Ace Hardware.

The system was already at atmospheric pressure when I took the old Schrader valves out. Before pulling the old receiver-drier, I had experimented with various ways of getting a vacuum on the system, and decided that the hose that came with the gauge set was not going to cut it. The local Ace hardware fixed me up with the necessary copper tubing, flare fittings, and flared the tubing for me. I then made another practice run at pumping the system down. I also knew from the sound of the vacuum pump that this was not going to be a quick process.

After making sure that I could pump the system down, I changed the receiver-drier. I did not clamp it back to the frame as I wanted to be able to see the sight glass. I then pumped the system down through the low-pressure side of the gauge set and the suction-side Schrader valve. It would have been nice to have a decent vacuum gauge, but I had only the sound of the vacuum pump as a guide (the gauge set was reading about -28 to -29 inches Hg so it was not useful) to the fact that the system was reasonably leak free.

By this time, it was getting too late to charge the system. I let it pump down overnight and it was into the afternoon before I had a chance to work with it. I know that some will say an overnight pump down is too long; however, I have pumped down enough mass spectrometers to know that it takes overnight to get the most of the water out.

When I refilled the system, I used some of the refrigerant to purge the lines of the gauge set before connecting it to the system. I stopped adding refrigerant after I had added 3 pounds as I was getting more than adequate cooling. I took the van out again this afternoon to make sure system was still working well. I took about 30 minutes of highway driving to get discharge air down to 45 deg. F (ambient was about 82 deg. F). Another 15 minutes of highway driving brought it close to 40 deg F.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Benjamin E. Beasley" <bbeasley@MIX.WVU.EDU> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, May 26, 2003 7:33 AM Subject: Re: A/C Success