Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 May 2003 21:25:47 EDT
From:         George Goff <THX0001@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Window Regualtor Saga Continued
Comments: To: chassehsd@EARTHLINK.NET

In a message dated 5/24/03 3:23:02 PM, chassehsd@EARTHLINK.NET writes:

<< Now any ideas from you guys on where to begin looking for a short ... >>

chassehsd, my man, unless your van is filling with acrid smoke like some kind of Kiss concert on wheels, you have an open circuit or, more likely multiple open circuits. Now, you can ring out each conductor which passes through the rubber boot between the door and the jamb and replace the ones which have opened, but, as I found, you might as well replace them all; if a couple have broken, the others are well on their to separation.

Although there have been many tales here of cutting the rubber boot, then splicing the broken conductors, I did not like that idea. The logic of putting a rigid butt connector right where the conductor flexes the most escapes me. Also, breaching the water tightness of the boot makes no sense to me. Instead, I chose to spend an evening pulling new conductors through the existing harness from the connectors beneath the dash to the connectors in the door. It was not the easiest route to follow but, once a pull cord was in place and some cable pulling lubricant found its way into the cable bundle, it was not all that tough of a task. Initially, I wasted one of the conductors which was still continuous (in reality it was hanging on by the last few stands) to draw in the pull cord. Like other circuitous cable routings, this wire pulling had to be done in two stages by gathering a loop of wire in the door cavity before completing the pull through the wire harness sheath in the door.

Repairing the harness like I have described is not for everyone. Perhaps I am just afraid of the Quick and the Dirty because they have come back to bite me in the ass to many times before.

George