Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 May 2003 20:20:20 -0400
From:         Hemrick Thomas TSgt AFTAC DOZA
              <Thomas.Hemrick@AFTAC.PATRICK.AF.MIL>
Subject:      Tips, Laments, Rantings

All, I hope your Vanagon or other VW is treating you well. I've got only a few tips to pass and a few not so kind words. 1. The ultra low temp thermostat for the 93 Corrado is a perfect fit in the 1987 VW Syncro 2.1. It's rated 10 degrees lower than the lowest I could find for the Vanagon. Might freeze your nuts off in the great white north but down here in FL, it's great to see low temps when your not moving (think tourist traffic in Orland around summer time). 2. The Coleman electric fridge they sell at Wal-Mart fits great right behind the drivers seat between the middle seat and the seat base. Plus, you can actually grab a cold beverage out while driving. Well, if it's a 1 Liter bottle of water... I haven't had any problems with the fridge or the adapter for 110. I've heard some stories. 3. Some of you may have heard of an electrical problem some vanagon's have and the mechanic will replace the fuse box. Some of you may have an accessory that may not work but everything checks fine right up to the fuse box. Check this out. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY, Pull all the fuses and relays keep the relays in order or you will need a Bentley manual!), and the front of the fuse box pops off with a screwdriver. You'll see a whole mess of brass arms. Those are the relay contacts. Starting from the top row, left side moving to the right, use a pair of good pliers (your style and size your choice) and GENTLY squeeze the arms that run "horizontal" (they grab a blade of the relay that runs up-down) You'll notice a line of them from right to left. You can squeeze a little overlapping as they spring back but be careful not to overdue it. Then do the middle row, then do the bottom row. Now, you can work from the left top corner again, but work the arms that run top to bottom. Work from the top down, move one row over, do it again until you reach the right side. This way you won't miss a single one. Put it all back together. All my relays are in tight as can be and EVERYTHING works like day one out of the factory. 4. The Red Optima is a great starting battery and the Yellow Optima is a great accessory battery. I've got them both in the "on the side position" with the terminal posts pointing forward. Best investment I've made. NO more leaking! Sure it helped that I got them for a great price but I still would have got them. If you're riding the fence, just get one. You WON'T be sorry. 5. In the near future when I part with my 87 Syncro, if the guy I use to work with doesn't get it, I'll offer it up on the list before I let the rest of the world at it on Ebay. My VW's have been OK but ANY contact/association/relationship to the VW dealer and or VWOA (specifically Three county VW in NJ and The Imported Car Store in Melbourne FL) have been absolutely horrible!!! In fact I wish they both disappear and a Honda dealership moves in to both vacant lots. VWOA, well they can kiss my @$$!!! They have lost me as a customer for life (been one for over 30 years!) and I'm well on my way to telling everyone I knew, know, meet, kids meet, relatives know, friends know and everyone in the military that VW customer support is nothing more than a joke. I dropped off my 93 Corrado at the dealer for a "would not start" problem. They wanted a $10,000 deposit! That's NO typo. Their "Master" mechanic once went through two engines, three superchargers (although mine is a v6 not the I-4 with G-lader) and wrote this all up on the guys bill for over 13 months of work and $10,000 in bills to the customer. No wonder the guy left the car there for scrap and stiffed the dealer. Some "Master" Mechanic. They wouldn't even hook my car up the VAG test equipment. They said, "it wouldn't tell us anything." Well it told me a lot! A great independent guy spent 2.5 hours for $150 and found some electrical problems. FIXED! SOOOO... It's now time that I leave the flock in search of a new marque. Even the new cars have mailing lists so I won't be without support when things go wrong. And we know that ALL cars have some problem or another. I will NOT miss VW or the cars (although I can spot just about any of them from a half mile, in the rearview mirror, at night, during a rain storm, with my sunglasses still on........) but I will miss the support, friendship, bantering, funny stories/pictures and just damn good people I've dealt with for the past few years. Be safe and take care. Hope those tips help at least one of you. TJ Hemrick