Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 May 2003 21:03:57 -0400
From:         Jeff Stewart <fonman4277@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Dash Light Madness!

Hey Folks, Well, last week it was my high beam indicator, finally got that fixed (new bulb, VW dealer, $8.62-was told $4.62 when I ordered it, price went up $4.00 when it came in). While I had the dash apart dealing with the high beam bulb, the battery LED fell out. Stuck it back in, and when I put everything back together the battery light stayed on. Took it all apart again and reversed the leads on the LED and the battery light no longer stayed on- but it didn't come on when the ignition was on, and my battery stopped charging (VOM on battery read 12.5 volts with engine running). Sooo, take it all apart again, reverse the LED, light now comes on when ignition is on, goes out while cranking, comes back on and stays on with engine running-but now reading about 13.5 volts at the battery with the engine running at idle. Search of the archives indicates the battery light staying on is a sign of bad brushes in the alternator. Coincidence? Battery is fairly new, and I had no trouble before screwing around with the dash to replace the high beam indicator bulb. TIA, Jeff