Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 May 2003 00:51:17 -0400
From:         James Adams <james_adams@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: What is this Vanagon with TiiCo engine worth ?
Comments: To: Randy Charrette <rcharrette@HOTMAIL.COM>

On Wed, 28 May 2003 01:19:40 +0000, Randy Charrette <rcharrette@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

> I hate to say it, but I think your hosed! I put a Tiico in my van as well > (very happy with it), and one thing that is very clear is once you make > that comitment it is yours for the long haul because you will NEVER get > that money back in a sale. Sorry, good luck. > Randy > 87 Syncro (Tiico)

Yes I thought I was in this for the long haul, but the engine just isn't what it's advertised to be and I'm thinking I should cut my losses now before I have to endure many more headaches and wallet reductions. It's been in the shop more in the last year (8 months actually since it was parked for 4 months while I was overseas recently) than it was the entire first 4 years I had it with its old rebuilt waterbox engine. The ECU was a bear to program correctly (the first mechanic who installed it could never get it right, and he frequently installs TiiCo's in Boulder), and now I am again sidelined with a yet-to-be-determined fuel injection/timing problem. The engine has much more noise and vibration than the original waterbox. And most disturbing is the fact that a mechanic did a search of some common parts from the parts list on the tiico.com site and couldn't find a single one. So once something goes south I will be dependent on TiiCo to get me the parts I need from South Africa, meaning I could be out of commission for weeks, especially given TiiCo's reputation for being slow to respond to customer/mechanic attempts to contact them (let me qualify that by saying that Peter is a very nice guy and really *tries* to help when you do finally get his attention). Most mechanics I've found don't want to fool with this customized vehicle - before I got the engine I was ignorant enough to think that since the engine is originally from VW it would be more or less straight-forward for any VW mechanic to work on. The fuel economy is no better than the original 2.1L engine. The only thing positive I can say about it is that it has more power than the original engine, but with this comes the fact that it drives and sounds like a hot rod (you need a lead foot), not what I bargained for at all. In the end the engine is just not as advertised, and has given me more headaches than smiles. Perhaps if you like tinkering with things, having a project to work on, or paying a mechanic through the nose, often, then maybe it is a good choice. Plenty of folks seem to have done just that, have worked out the kinks, and love their TiiCo. I haven't been as fortunate or persistent. And for what I paid I shouldn't have to be. I thought I was increasing the reliability factor by going with the TiiCo, but the inverse actually seems to be the case. Perhaps I just got the odd lemon, or maybe I have a karmic debt which has finally come due. ;) At this point I'm thinking to just cut my losses and give up the benefits (and fun) of a Vanagon for a lower maintenance vehicle.

On a separate topic - Thanks again to all of the people who have emailed me their two cents (and keep it coming if you have more to add). The participants of this list are exemplary and have been quite supportive every time I've used it to ask questions. Gracias !

-James