Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 May 2003 13:46:35 -0400
Comments:     RFC822 error: <W> Incorrect or incomplete address field found and
              ignored.
From:         "Forhan, Thomas" <Thomas.Forhan@MAIL.HOUSE.GOV>
Subject:      Re: Organizing Vanagon Maintenance Information
Comments: To: Steve <info@syncro.org>,

Steve,

Thanks for your offer. I could do the outline, but I have to admit I am really worried about the bigger question: maintenance of a site like this, and would think we would be better off if we could get some buyin from more people on the various lists.

One thought is - for intial setup- to seek volunteers, i.e., somebody agrees to look for BTDT on "power windows" for instance, maybe adds their own experience, and puts together a starter page of posts on that item in the Bentley index. Once that is established, it can go dynamic: if you look at the bottom of the pages on Audi maintenance that I cited, people can dynamically add things to the page. See http://greenspun.com/com/tricks.html . They actually could post directly into the bottom of the relevant page.

For long term maintenance, there would be three tasks: removing inappropriate posts, moving new posts from the bottom and up into the right place on the specific page, and maybe linking how to photos into text when the writer has supplied them.

What do people think? Would this work?

Tom F.

-----Original Message----- From: Steve [mailto:info@syncro.org] Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2003 1:09 PM To: Syncro@yahoogroups.com Subject: [Syncro] Re: Organizing Vanagon Maintenance Information

The tech links section of syncro.org under heading "How To" is a good beginning on organizing already existing repair/maitenance info. It would be quite a job to do a Bently outline and cull relevant posts from the list. Easily 30 hours I bet. But if it were done over time, it would not be so bad. I would gladly provide webspace for it. Once the outline was created, it would be hard to start filling it in. Any volunteers on creating a bently-like outline? I will do the work of posting and maintaing/updating it as material is submitted.

Regarding photos, i purchased the platinum paln for photo storage at a photo site and already have a good start on a means of organizing photos. See http://members18.clubphoto.com/steven666314/guest-5d3d-1.phtml People can e-mail me photos (i have DSL so no problem) and I will post them and create new folders as appropriate. I will make the link to the albums more prominment on syncro.org shortly. Right now it can be accessed from the photo page.

Steve