Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 May 2003 11:19:51 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: input shaft (again)
Comments: To: Blake Thornton <blake@MATH.WUSTL.EDU>

This is a tricky job the first time. The circlip was there to keep the sleeve in place. The sleeve has splines on the inside that slide over the shaft AND an inner shaft. The sleeve bridges a joint where the input shaft is screwed to the inner main shaft. You must slide the sleeve toward you until it no longer bridges the joint between the 2 shafts. You can not see this joint without a dental type mirror and flashlight and that is what I use. I can usually feel the joint if I jam my hand in there. Once the joint is no longer covered by the sleeve you can unscrew the input shaft from the other shaft. There is a small threaded stud the screws into the end on both shafts.

NOW THE REALLY TRICKY PART!!

The sleeve can't move toward you far enough unless you first turn the diff so that one of the holes in it is located where the sleeve needs to slide to. It will be a very close call as to whether you can do it. Every millimeter of possible movement is required. I have had cases where the sleeve simply could not be moved far enough to expose the joint. Another approach is called for in that case but try and try and try again to do it the way I described above.

Mark

Blake Thornton wrote: > > OK, I'm getting close. I'm not sure how to get the input shaft out of the > transmission. I've got the bell housing off, I took the circlip off, now > what? If I turn the shaft, the transmission's gears turn (as expected). > > Thanks! > Blake > 84 westy