Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 May 2003 12:32:41 -0700
From:         Tom Forhan <fourwdvw@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Syncro Ph. D. program at Syncro de Mayo Este

Once you've been to college, come back east to West Virginia and git yur PhD. :-)

Faculty at the east coast Syncro de Mayo event -May 29-June 1 - will include:

Derek Drew, part sleuth extraordinaire, who will lecture on where to find the most exotic Syncro parts on the planet (Cliff Notes version: his attic);

Steve West, an incredible machinist, who will hold a class on how to fabricate any part that Derek cannot source;

Karl Mullendore, a skilled mechanic, fabricator, and cross country driver, leader of the crusade to eliminate the WBX engines in our syncros;

Dennis Hayes, professional syncro mechanic, innovator and always-on-call resource for the entire community.

Kim Brennan, professor of geography and geology, is in charge of the off road events. He has got some enjoyable overland trecks as well as challenge courses. (The east coast has been very wet this spring, and I'm bringing my mud tires for these lessons.)

In the field part of your dissertation research, you'll examine every kind of syncro in its element. 14", 15", 16", how big do you like 'em? Front diff conversions, regearings, Hayes Syncro special tow bars, front mounted recievers, Gary Lee custom racks, WBX, Diesel, Subie and I-4 engine conversions: see what you like, and see what breaks.

Only thing we don't have is sponsors. I've been thinking about how to deal with this, because everyone will want to have something to take home from the historic first Syncro de Mayo Este. So I figure, if it falls off a vehicle, its fair game. Souvenir hunters can just follow the tracks as we work our way uphill, and any parts they find laying in the mud are theirs to keep.

Still a few slots open: email me directly if you'd like to come. Tuition is free, though we may need to pass the hat for any unforseen expenses. The campus is located not far from Harrisonburg VA, off Interstate 81.