Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 May 2003 20:53:27 -0700
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: [VB] Memorial Day
Comments: To: flowersj@gallatinriver.net
Comments: cc: ellisjames@yahoo.com, awilde@kexp.org,
          wetwesties@yahoogroups.com, opinions@arizonarepublic.com

That is cool! Did you know that there are often Local County History books in small town libraries. I've found small unpublished histories of various counties in Texas at the county courthouse of that county. I may be wrong in my thinking but I feel that part of Roosevelts Reconstruction program involved a lot more than building wonderful stone courthouses and national parks. I had past relatives that worked in the CC camps to learn their lifetime trades. In addition to archives in courthouses there are also the potential of finding small town histories at many universities. My Great Grandfather 'Lewis' was shot in a saloon. The fellow wasn't looking for him, he was looking for Grandfathers brother who wasn't at the saloon that night. The gunslinger accidentally shot Great Grandfather thinking it was his brother. When the shooter left the saloon he was heard to say, "Well I Got Me A Lewis", it was just the wrong one. The court ruled it an accidental shooting since he shot the wrong man. The shooter left town and never returned, he left a wife and children deserted there when he fled. Great Grandfather had a nice farm and made good money from his crops and after his death Great Grandmother continued to run the farm and took food to the shooters wife and family for many years. Lots of this type stuff in locally produced history books written by local historians back in the 1800s to about 1930s.

Stan Wilder

On Thu, 22 May 2003 19:52:05 -0500 "John Flowers" <flowersj@gallatinriver.net> writes: > ----- Original Message ----- > From: <wilden1@juno.com> > > I often visited local small town grave yards just out of > curiosity. > > You can learn a lot in grave yards. > > > Stan: > My son recently completed a restoration of a small local graveyard > that had > been forgotten over the years. > He did this as an Eagle Scout Service Project. Through the research > he > completed for the restoration we were able to discover that the > first person > buried there, and on whose land the cemetery was founded was the > first white > settler in our county outside of the residents of the county seat. > This man > whose name was Zacariah Melugin was a Sergeant in the Black Hawk > Wars and > served for awhile with Abraham Lincoln. > The local newspaper picked up the story and over the months we heard > from > people as far away as Texas and New Jersey (we are in Illinois), who > have > ancestors buried in this graveyard, which was active from 1842 until > 1883. > When the project was finished, we took our '66 Westfalia out to the > site and > camped on the day after Halloween. Unfortunately, none of the > cemetery > inhabitants paid us a visit, but we speculated that if they did they > would > be kindly toward us because we worked so hard to bring their resting > place > back to a respectable condition. > John Flowers > > --------------------------------------------------------------------- > To unsubscribe, e-mail: vintagebus-unsubscribe@type2.com > For additional commands, e-mail: vintagebus-help@type2.com > Donations help keep the list going. > http://www.type2.com/donate.html > > >

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!