Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 May 2003 03:02:57 +0000
From:         Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Shady Boy Awning Review

There has been some discussion about the Shady Boy awning lately, so I thought I would give a report on my experience.

I bought mine in Vancouver last summer, but only used it a couple of times last year. It looks nice and compact on the side of the van, and I haven't noticed any wind noise. Extended it covers from the rear wheel almost to the mirror, and out about 6', so it covers a good area.

See http://www.shadyboy.com/vans/index.html

Because it is made of coated nylon, it doesn't block the light completely. In the Pacific NorthWet, that's nice, but if I were using this in hot, sunny areas, I might get the optional sun blocking fabric instead.

Setup is fairly simple, although you sometimes have to bend the fiberglass rods quite a bit, and pull hard on the nylon fabric. It's more like pitching a tent, in some ways, than conventional awnings.

Taking it down is a bit more complicated, because you have to roll the awning up around three of the poles, and then tuck everything into the housing, but it has never been a real problem to do by myself. I would not want to be doing it in a strong breeze without some help! Rolling it up in the rain is not very pleasant, but if you have done it before, no big deal.

One area of concern is dealing with wind. This weekend I camped at Sun Meadow, south of Coeur d'Alene, and we had a pretty good storm. The wind was coming from the others side of the van so I figured I would leave it up and see what happened. The canopy bounced around pretty vigorously until I put the down-draft poles on. They are separate poles you can get which clip to the outside end of the rods and keeps the canopy from being pushed down by the wind. They can't be adjusted for length, so you have to angle them to find the right length.

I would recommend getting them if you are going to deal with breezy conditions, but other awnings will have problems with wind, too.

The Shady Boy uses lighter fabric so is more affected by the wind. It cannot be partially retracted, so it's either all he way out, or not at all. Setup and takedown is more manual than conventional awnings.

It's also less expensive, lighter, more compact, and looks neat.

TANSTAAFL

- Mike

Mike Finkbiner ' 87 Westy Moscow, ID

mike_l_f@hotmail.com

Perception is more real than truth, and belief turns truth into lies. - Kedar Nan

_________________________________________________________________ The new MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail