Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 May 2003 18:56:53 -0700
From:         Malcolm Stebbins <mwstebbins@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      My mechanic made a 2,000 km house call
Comments: cc: jeff <jeff.hogue@ns.sympatico.ca>

I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia, but I am currently at the family cottage in Harbor Springs (in northern) Michigan. I had my van given CDN$2,000 worth of work at Shoal COve Auto prior to the 2,000 km trip before I left for this trip. I left the day after the van was worked on and the van was stumbling upon acceleration – 1/4 to 3/4 throttle, but seemed to run OK at near full throttle, or upon full acceleration.

You see I have a Solex carb gerry-rigged to the intake manifold of a 1600 cc beetle, all hooked up to 91 syncro westy, so things do not always work just fine. I bought the van from Jeff Hogue (of Shoal Cove Auto) about 5 years ago.

I asked the list for help re the stumbling problem, The collective wisdom of the list suggested several things to check, but to no avail. I called my mechanic (Jeff) back in Nova Scotia and he said that he was soon going to be in Rochester, NY and then off to see the Ford Museum in Dearborn MI, and that he could drive the 5 hours to Harbor Springs to see what was wrong. In the mean time he suggested that I try squirting carb cleaner around the intake manifold to check for air leaks. BINGO. When I sprayed carb cleaner around the idle settled out and I could see the fluid being sucked in around some of the gaskets. Jeff's shop’s work, but not his work – he was in the hospital when the work was being done on my van.

Well, as it would happen, I had purchased a VW intake manifold from a European carb’ed van and a NEW Weber DFEV carb and had just had an adaptor plate made to mate the two. So by the time Jeff arrived (5 hours from Detroit) I was ready to install the new manifold and carb. Jeff brought some needed parts all the way from Nova Scotia.

So the way I see it, Jeff drove his motorcycle about 2,500 kms to make a house call: deliver parts and labour for an ailing van. OK ok, so he was going to be in Detroit anyway, but he did drive 5 hours out of his way to help me. Jeff literally worked for his dinner.

I hope that you all have such a dedicated friend/mechanic. Thanks Jeff. Malcolm