Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 31 May 2003 10:57:27 -0400
From:         Bob O Shaughnessy <vanagon@COLUMBUS.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: Diesel Vanagon Questions

On 5/30/03 7:49 PM, "Rex Merriweather" <hihorn@DSLEXTREME.COM> wrote:

> Has anyone tried installing AC on a 1.6 diesel vanagon? How about with a turbo > from a Jetta. Logic tells me that the "High Torque" VW diesel engine should > find it easy to run the AC. With a turbo added I could see some cooling issues > but, with all the heavey duty coolers on the market, why wouldn't this work. > Rex

Turbo, yes. AC, Dunno, but it would be much harder.

The Transporter/Westy were available with a 1.6L TD engine (code JX) in Europe. The easiest way to do this with existing US parts is to find a complete Quantum TD engine and put it in the Vanagon. The Quantum turbocharger is towards the back of the engine, leaving space for the driver's-side engine mount to attach. You'll have to modify the oil pan to provide an inlet for the oil drain from the turbo and fabricate an exhaust pipe. But the stickiest part of the whole conversion is the boost enrichment aneroid on the top of the TD fuel pump. The Quantum and Jetta TD pumps have the aneroid on the top of the pump and when installed in a Vanagon, it protrudes about an inch higher than the engine lid. The solution is to get the pump and injection lines from an actual JX engine, on which the boost aneroid is located on the back of the pump to clear the engine lid. The lines are required, as they are bent differently to clear the aneroid.

Some Links:

Pictures of the JX pump and lines: http://homepage.mac.com/oshaughnessy/van/fuelpump1.jpg http://homepage.mac.com/oshaughnessy/van/actuator.jpg

Picture of the Jetta/Quantum TD pump http://homepage.mac.com/oshaughnessy/van/pump.jpg

Jack Ewald's awesome VW Diesel site: http://www.vwdieselparts.com/