Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 31 May 2003 11:33:53 -0500
From:         Joel Walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Power mirrors

> Does anybody know if the '86 and later Vanagons were pre-wired for > power mirrors, even if they didn't come with them? > Any tricks to transplanting them if I could find a working set?

no. :( well ..maybe. depends on if you have the power windows or not. the wiring harnesses are the same for the power mirrors, power windows, power door locks. that is, if you have one of those, the wiring is already there for the other two.

there are THREE wiring harnesses that you need. one from each mirror to the dash, and one that spans the dash to connect the other two. the dash one also connects everything to the fuse box and to the defroster switch (so the mirrors will defrost, too). if you have to buy these harnesses, they are like $100 each!!! :(

the mirror attaches to the doors (on the outside) with THREE screws. two of the screw holes (already threaded) are already there ... the non-power mirrors use them. you'll have to drill another hole for the third one. and drill a hole for the wires. best way is to get the wire hole done, put the wires through (more on that in a minute), then tighten down the two screws and mark the position of the third one. then take the mirror off and drill the hole. the third screw/bolt requires a goofy-looking nut on the inside of the door .. it's really difficult to get your hand up in there to start the nut, and a bit harder to tighten it. so if you take a set of mirrors off a junkyard bus, save ALL the little parts that you come in contact with!! especially that little gasket that fits between the door and the power mirror.

the wires will NOT fit through the door (that new hole) with their plastic connectors on .. you have to unclip the connectors and push the wires through, then put the connectors back onto the wires after you've tightened the mirror down. the way to unclip them is to have a large needle-thingie and from the business end of the connector, push the needle between the plastic and the metal connector. there's a small clip in there on the metal connector that you can bend downward and it lets the plastic slide off. you'll need to bend the clip back up a bit before you put the connector back on (so the plastic will be gripped by the metal connector).

feeding the wiring harness through the rubber sleeve between the door and the dash isn't so bad if you'll take one end of the sleeve loose first.

that's about all the tricks ... the rest is just dull hard work. ;) i did it on my 88 bus and i've never regretted it ... even though i bought all new parts and it cost about $800 back then. :(

good luck! joel