Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 May 2003 08:07:14 -0700
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      pissing and moaning coolant

matthias, I would not assume that anyone did anything wrong. It is time to do a compression check. It is likely that a head has headed south and anyone who bled the system may or may not be the cause or driving with too little coolant could be the cause. If you are lucky perhaps the head is a little loose but I am betting you need a new head so save your sheckles. Let us know what the compression check shows. If you need any help please e-mail. gary Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 02:12:46 -0700 From: zampano <matthias.k@ATTBI.COM> Subject: once again exhaust blowing into coolant

Hi Volks,

I am rather certain now that the people who fixed my van under warranty last Feb messed up again, here's why:

- after about two weeks since I got the van back in Feb I would find a small puddle of coolant underneath the rear of the engine after it would sit overnight. Turned out to be the vent hole in the water pump. They replaced it under warranty 11/2 months ago. Van ran perfectly smooth otherwise, except I had to keep a close eye on the coolant level, top it up and bleed it every week or so. ( $ 80 in blue coolant from VW). I thought this was because of the vent hole in the water pump.

- I seem to need to top it off way more than it could possibly whiz out overnight from that vent hole in the water pump

- I don't see any white smoke, at least not when it idles. Don't see anything in my rear view either.

- Bleeding was never quite successful to the tune of having no more bubbles at the bleed screw on top of the radiator. Even if I parked with the front elevated almost 12", left it overnight, and then would bleed it in the morning for up to 15 mins, with topping off the coolant tank continuously, I would still get bubbles. It would then run fine, i.e. temp indicator needle never above the LED. My radiator fan would turn on, and all would be honky dory for some time, until the coolant would get low again. Doing the bleeding improperly can be absolutely ruled out (Bentley, Archives, list input etc) The time for it seemingly being alright has been continuously decreasing over time.

- After a period of time from bleeding the temp needle would start acting weird, jump up suddenly beyond the LED (never very far, as I would stop and check right away. When it did this the radiator fan would then not come on. It usually pops on right before the LED.

- If I removed the coolant fill cap,( which is also about 2 months old, with another new one before that which I replaced after 2 months (end of March)) there would be pressure (gas) hissing out. I am talking about in the morning, before I start the van, when it is cold.

- The coolant expansion tank (behind license plate) would quickly fill up, but would never drain back into the coolant tank itself. I would "manually" empty it every week and transfer it thus into my coolant tank

- My water pumps, even the one they replaced under warranty, would quickly start whizzing over night. Never saw any leak from there with the engine running, with the van being warm or just pulling of the freeway, or having a friend idle it at 4000 rpm. No leak anywhere, whatsoever. Only overnight. This should be a clear signal that there's too much pressure in the cooling system (read: exhaust???)

- Just tonite while cruising on the freeway (30 min drive) at around, never over 4000 rpm, the LED at the coolant temp gauge would start flashing, shortly followed by a climbing needle to 3/4. I immediately pulled to the emergency lane, broke out my flash light and saw no leak. Radiator was warm, but no fan coming on. Let it cool down and took the coolant cap off. Lots of air escaping, and much to my surprise plenty of coolant in the tank as well as the expansion tank. I then did a bleeding procedure, and added about 1/2 gallon of 50/50 mixed blue coolant. Temp gauge needle now a good 1/8" below LED. Finished bleeding and let it idle, temp gauge rises, fan pops on, stays steady, and I drive home (5 min).

- Over all, the engine never overheated. The gauge needle would just start behaving weird. Except for tonight and 4 days ago. But even then the gauge needle would not pass 3/4 as I would pull over right away.

This must be another failed head gasket. Does anybody know where I can get a block tester that chemically tests if there is exhaust in my coolant???

Looks like I am going to ask the shop that did the work for a full refund or take them to Small Claims.

Fun, fun, fun

Any input greatly appreciated.

Happy trails

matthias, 1984 WBX Wolfy Manual

p.s. if anybody wants to read the full story about the hassles with my rebuilder, go to the archives, put in zampano as the author, during late dec 02 and Jan /Feb 03