Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 May 2003 06:39:25 -0700
From:         Jeffrey Earl <jefferrata@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Movie review: "Rickshaw Vanagon"
Comments: cc: stevegough@hcis.net

Movie: "Rickshaw Vanagon" Reviewed by Jeffrey Earl

If you've not yet experienced Steve Gough's "Rickshaw Vanagon" www.emriver.com/rickvan.htm I wholeheartedly urge you to do so. Whether you own a Vanagon or you simply enjoy a rollicking good tale, you will not be disappointed. Anyone who knows me will tell you I'm all thumbs, and when I had finished viewing this soon-to-be classic, all ten thumbs were firmly UP.

We've all come to expect movie sequels to be inferior in most respects to the progenitors from which they spring. The universally disappointing "Caddyshack II", "Star Wars: Phantom Menace", and "Look Who's Talking Too" come to mind. Unfortunately.

Rare exceptions to this cinematic axiom include the "Earnest Goes to (Blank)" films and those sublime "Police Academy" movies, which exceeded even our highest expectations and only continued to push the zenith of filmic excellence ever higher.

Such is the exceptional nature of "Rickshaw Vanagon", the latest high-concept offering from cinematic genius Steve Gough. Where "backfire" www.emriver.com/vandemon.htm --the first installment of what we can only hope is an epic trilogy--chronicled the original sin and fall from grace of Gough's unnamed 1986 VW Vanagon Westfalia camper, "Rickshaw Vanagon" continues and furthers the story arc of his beloved Westy. Through numerous trials and challenges, but most importantly through the supernatural aid and assistance of an expanded cast of unlikely characters, we cheer as his namesake Vanagon finally roars to life and embarks upon its great journey.

JaJa the Wonder Dog, like that other familiar furry sidekick, Chewbacca, is enigmatically silent throughout most of this classic tale. But he embodies that darkly animalistic and primal lifeforce within us all, manifested by his simple canine utterances of affirmation.

Chirping words of wisdom and crackin' wise from his post in the engine compartment, Lufty the AFM is vaguely reminiscent of movie 'droid R2-D2 dutifully ensconced in the mechanical innards of Luke Skywalker's X-wing fighter in "Star Wars". Though Lufty is but a single cog in this vast and complex cosmic machine we call life, his absence would spell doom for the entire adventure.

When we first meet Kate, she is the subservient and long-suffering assistant, calling out the minute details which inevitably comprise every Vanagon journey, in the symbolical "backseat" role. But before this valiant tale is over, we see that she--like every Vanagon spouse or significant other--both figuratively and quite literally provides the driving force and motive energy behind this odyssey.

As for Gough's character, well, he is but a figurehead in the larger scheme of things. For we see that like all of us who sail the high seas of misadventure in our decrepit and ill-fated Vanagons, Gough is in truth not the captain of his own ship, nor the master of his own destiny. Rather, he is a mere mortal, forever a victim struggling against the whimsical tides and capricious undercurrents of the inscrutable gods in whose hands our fortunes lie. Like Han Solo, he barks orders from the wheel of his patched-together craft, but in the end it is the ragtag crew with whom he surrounds himself who truly make the journey possible.

Though the special effects of "Rickshaw Vanagon" are sometimes distractingly implausible (are we really to believe that Bosch, maker of fine labor-SAVING devices, would ever make an exer-cycle?), the film represents a refreshing return to a time when form followed function, and style followed story.

If one accepts the typical Westy journey, with all its adventure and misfortune, as a metaphor for life (and who doesn't?), then "Rickshaw Vanagon" begs for resolution. In the closing scene, as we watch the Westy exit stage right, ass-backwards presumably onto the open road, we wonder what trials and tribulations await it there, and whether the good ship and crew will achieve final redemption in the larger world. We can only hope that Gough intends to close the circle on his epic saga, delivering with the same vision and craft the final, grand conclusion for which we so desperately yearn. If he does, I assert that Gough's "backfire" trilogy shall thereby take its rightful place in our popular lore, the modern cultural mythology by which we define ourselves.

JEFFREY EARL is not a film critic, but he plays one on the internet.