Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Jun 2003 09:37:01 -0700
From:         Jeffrey Earl <jefferrata@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Organizing Vanagon Maintenance Information
Comments: To: wilden1@juno.com, paradigm@allegraprinting.com
Comments: cc: fourwdvw@yahoo.com, Thomas.Forhan@mail.house.gov, jeff@tssgi.com

I like Lee's idea of a structure: Category >> Sub-Category >> Sub-Sub-Category, with a continuous and linear thread comprising each topic. Example: Brakes >> Front Brakes >> Mechanical System >> Pad Replacement >> Organic versus Semi-metallic. Individual posters would be responsible for posting in the correct sub-category with their questions, tips and suggestions.

I also like Stan's suggestion that each topic be kicked-off with a 'tech report' or essay written by one of our many resident experts. Most of these are probably already buried somewhere in the archives; creating this new structure would put them front-and-center under their respective topic headings and eliminate the need for each user to conduct a new search. Might reduce server space and would definitely speed-up the hunting process.

Beyond that point though, readers would be individually responsible for determining whether what they are reading is good advice or complete hooey. Most know how to separate the Bull from the Sh*t

Any such a structure should also include an independant category for "Nonsensical Chit-chat", "Blathermouth Rants", or "Feces-Flingin' Monkeyshines", in order to avoid polluting the technical posts with unhelpful, off-topic chatter. This chatter category would undoubtedly see a spike in traffic on Fishy Fridays, and I would aspire to be one of it's most prolific flingers ...

"OK, I'll leave it at that since I've already gone on for far too long about something I don't know a whole lot about ..."

Jeffrey Earl 1983 diesel Westfalia "Vanasazi"

--- wilden1@juno.com wrote: > My suggestion is that whomever is going to be the > gate keeper on this > project, first gather Archives postings from list > members known to be > credible in their individual fields. > Over the years many of the very credible list > members have posted on a > variety of subjects. > Once these issues are satisfied then go forward with > soliciting "Fixes" > and "Methods" for the multitude of minor maintenance > subjects. > > Stan Wilder > > On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 19:14:29 -0700 Lee Roesner > <paradigm@allegraprinting.com> writes: > > Jeffrey, > > > > How much indirect "comments" or "conversation" do > you want per tech > > submission. I would suggest no comment or > conversation function on > > a > > submission. If you have a better/faster way, > submit your solution. > > I > > wouldn't mind reviewing 2 or 3 "solutions" for a > particular project. > > Some > > solutions might cover a particular tricky area > better than the last > > or have > > better photos. The open forum at vanagon.com could > be used to > > further > > question posted tech solutions. The database could > always expand to > > allow > > "conversation" in the future too. > > > > Idea: I would be happy with listing most major > category listings as > > a > > biginning and then people posting there own > sub-category under the > > appropriate major category. Could even go 3 > levels. Then each new > > subcategory that was created would then become > part of the dropdown > > choices > > when a new submission is added. > > > > A quick search of categories and/or subcategories > would get you to > > the > > category of your choice which would list all the > available > > submissions under > > that category. > > > > Yes, leaving sub-category creation up to the > submitter could get > > messy. > > Depends on how much upfront work you want to put > into it. The key is > > to keep > > it all in database form. Then all this stuff can > be reshuffled down > > the > > line. > > > > Just a few thoughts... > > > > Lee > > > > > > > > Lee Roesner > > Paradigm Graphic Design & Web Development > > 710-B Landwehr Road > > Northbrook, IL 60062 > > > > Phone 847-509-8704 > > Fax 847-480-5701 > > PORTFOLIO: http://www.roesner.net > > THE B WORD: http://www.thebword.com