Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Jun 2003 23:48:57 EDT
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Growling into reverse
Comments: To: jspeer@POBOX.COM

In a message dated 6/3/2003 5:14:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time, jspeer@POBOX.COM writes:

> I went to leave, depressed the > clutch and began to shift into reverse. There was a faint growl of > gears. I paused, not forcing the shifter, the growl stopped and it slid > easily into reverse. >

My rebuilt trans has done the same thing since the day I installed it 60,000 miles ago. While I didn't like it then and still don't, the rebuild has 60 K trouble-free miles on it to date. I ususally follow dennis' advice and from neutrel, depress the clutch, shift into 2nd gear and keeping the clutch depressed shift into reverse. This eliminates the growl completely. (heck out of habit I think I hit second before shifting from a stop in neutrel to first gear from experience with a 1st gear growl in an old Beetle.)

Or from a stand still you can depress the clutch and can count to 10 or whatever then shift into reverse.

I can't speak to whether the growl is a design flaw or a rebuild flaw or whatever--although it seems it should quietly shift into reverse, I'm not sure I've ever owned a car that does. My 93 Fox does the same thing.

The fore-most important problem with the growl is you're hearing metal on metal and I'm guessing the probability is you're dropping metal shavings into the trans oil when you hear that which will cause other problems. So do what you can to to avoid the growl.

Best Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA