Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Jun 2003 09:27:16 EDT
From:         Bill Marshall <Willolyn99@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1982 EGR valve

I agree with Bill, every little bit helps.

I suppose you could just give up and run with the polluters, but deep inside you know what the RIGHT thing to do is. That is the test of character -- doing the right thing in the face of adversity, not taking the easy way out. You can give up, or you can fight the big polluters -- point your anger and disgust at them and try for change.

Bill Marshall 85 GL Tiico "Pandora's Box" Aurora, IL

Bill wrote: Your point seems to be that since other people show no regard for the environment, there is no reason for you to do so either.  Is that what you really meant to say?  My kids used to say, "Everybody else does it."  Once they grew up, they got over trying to use that as justification for doing something bad.

Of course there are lots of problems contributing to the degradation of the environment.  If you want to associate yourself with the polluters, fine, but I would rather try to be part of the solution, not the problem.  I have five vehicles, and none of them has freon in the AC.  I also have four buildings on my property, all air conditioned, and none of them use freon either.  I maintain my vehicles to try to limit pollution, even though there is no inspection or emissions testing where I live.  I could go on, but the point is that I do these things because it's the right thing to do.  Yes, lots of other people and many big companies don't make the effort, but I will do it anyway.  Maybe it won't help a lot, but it will help a little.  You can't do everything, but you can do something.  Don't give up so easily.  Quitters never win.  The air overall is cleaner than it used to be, and in 20 years it will be cleaner still.  Do your part, however small.  At least try to make a difference.

Bill in the Southwest