Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Jun 2003 20:02:36 -0400
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      The tale of two VWs and the scam that didn't fly.

I put two of my vehicles for sale on my own website. A 78 ASI Camper and a 90 Jetta GL. I got an email from a gentleman from Nigeria who said he wanted to purchase these two vehicles as a gift for his pastor (he called himself Rev. Daniel). I knew it was a scam but I played along. I wanted to hang this guy if I could and figured I could at least give him a bad day. He said that he would pay the price for the two vehicles plus $5000 for shipping to Nigeria. He had a friend here in the US that owed him $20,000. He would have this friend send me a cashier's check for $20,000 and then I could cash it. Then deduct my $11,000 for the two vehicles and shipping and send him the balance via Money Gram. I never lied to him. I told him if I got a valid Cashier's check I would be glad to send him the balance.

A couple of months go by. Over the course of this month I get contacted by him a couple of times via Voice Relay service. This is actually a service for the deaf who depend on it to speak to folks over the phone. The deaf person types in what they want to say and the relay person speaks it. And then it works in reverse for you. The only problem is that anyone with an internet connection, anywhere in the world can use this service and it has become a convenient way for scammers to contact you with no hope of being detected (hopefully this will change in the future).

Finally, a couple of days ago I got the "check". It looked genuine. It even had the watermarks on the back. However when I called the issuing bank (First National Bank of Abilene, Texas) and gave them the check number, etc. they assured me that it was indeed counterfeit. I contacted my cousin who is a State Trooper and we talked about the situation. I tracked the Fed-Ex envelope and it had it's origin in the UK! So much for the Maryland address that was scrawled on the envelope :) The guy called me yesterday and I laid it out for him in no uncertain terms. "Will you send me the balance?" He asks. "I have a problem with the check," I told him. "The bank says that it is counterfeit and will not cash it." He was quiet for a long time and so I hung up and tried to get back to work. He calls back. "I can't believe it." He says. "Can you at least send my friend $1000?" If there is one thing I hate worse than a crook it is a cut rate crook. I tell him no and hang up again.

Now I am waiting for my Trooper cousin to tell me if this is a matter for the Feds. I just wanted to share my tale with you folks as a cautionary tale. But I also wondered, what if everyone out there that these turkeys contacted, actually responded to them. Just think about it. It must cost at least $50 to send an overnight Fed Ex Envelope from the UK. If everyone (knowing in advance that this is a scam of course) went through the motions until the guy actually sent them the fake check then two things could happen: 1. You could have the satisfaction I did, laughing at this loser and his lame attempts to scam me. 2. Drain a bit from his fundage pile. If enough was drained he would have to move on to greener pastures. What do you think? I have been wracking my brains at a way to find these guys, or inflict some type of damage upon them as they inflict upon those that they dupe. This was the best that I could come up with.

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com http://www.strictlyvwauctions.com Phone: (856)-327-4936 Fax: (856)-327-2242