Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Jun 2003 23:35:09 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Correlation of brake switch to blinking Temp LED?
Comments: To: machfive@EXCITE.COM

At 08:55 PM 6/5/2003, Mark G wrote: >I notice that once in a great while, when sitting at a stop light in my 87 >Westy automatic, the temp LED will blink for a half second or so just as I >slightly let off the brake and hear a little 'click' from the brake >switch, like when moving forward a couple of feet or so... > >The light goes out as soon as the brake pedal is either completely >released or pushed back in. Are these on the same circuit? Will a new >switch help? It seems odd that the switch sometimes makes that little >'clicking' noise and sometimes doesn't. (And that the LED only blinks when >the clicking happens.) Any thoughts? Thanks.

I may be overlooking something obvious -- I dunno. I started looking at the circuits for the brake warning light, and to my astonishment I can't find an indication in '87, '90, '83-84 or '81 diagrams of any actual warning of brake failure. All years have a handbrake warning, and sometime between '84 and '87 they added a low-fluid warning, but I can't find any excessive-travel or pressure-difference warning at all. IF that's correct (and most likely even if it's not, actually) that system should have nothing to do with what you are seeing.

There are only two ways I know to make that light blink, other than gauge failure -- reduce the supply voltage below the regulated minimum 9.5 volts, or apply (even for a fraction of a second) a load on the temp sender line that would if maintained bring the gauge to full scale. The thing that seems likeliest to me is that one of two wires is occasionally being shorted -- the gauge sender line to ground, or the low-level warning controller input line either to ground or +12 (or strictly speaking to any fixed voltage at all). I would be inclined to identify those [3] wires (the gauge sender line is twinned, one to the sender and one from the low-coolant controller module), and make see if there's any way they could be getting involved in the brake mechanism.

Failing that, the next time it happens *don't move your foot* and see what fuse blows, then fix that circuit. That may not be entirely prudent. I might consider rigging a latching indicator of some sort that would light up and stay lit if the panel regulated supply fell below 9.5 volts...

The once in a great while thing is the killer. But if it isn't a short somewhere, most likely to ground, I'm stumped. Or an open on the level-warning input line would do it. An open on the panel supply would would too, I guess, maybe -- if it went on for long you'd see the gauges dropping and such, and your indicator lights would flicker.

Don't like any of these answers -- sell it to your brother and buy it back after he fixes it.

:( d

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"