Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Jun 2003 21:27:18 -0700
From:         James Adams <james_adams@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Where can I find parts for my TiiCo engine ?
Comments: cc: mtbiker62@hotmail.com

I think the part currently needed is a pressure sensor. The VW dealership here in Spartanburg SC can't locate the part from the number on the old part (Bosch I think), and this corresponds to the results of my previous mechanic in Boulder who looked for a water pump and other common parts on the TiiCo parts list to no avail.

I have had persistent trouble with timing and the ECU, at least I think that this is the main trouble for the rough running, choking up hills, stuttering on cold start ups, etc. And it seems that there is little/incomplete info available as far as the correct ECU settings. A couple of very experienced VW mechanics who have tried to get the kinks worked out for me have been more or less frustrated into submission. Perhaps I got a lemon ECU or wiring set up ?

Also someone has suggested that I replace the cap, rotor and ignition wires with Bosch parts and then most of my rough running problems might disappear. For such an expensive engine I expected that it would have come with top quality parts, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Anyone care to comment ? How much would the Bosch ignition wires, rotor and cap cost me ? Is this really a possible solution, or just a further expense (I'm at $7k and counting by now for this poorly performing engine) ?

I realize that there are many happy TiiCo owners, which is why I went this route against the better judgement of a few mechanics and friends, but my experience has been anything but satisfaction. I have also been contacted by others who have had similar experiences to mine, so at least I'm not alone. At this point I'd be glad if I could just unload this van for what I paid for the TiiCo engine and be done with it. This is turning out to be a very expensive and frustrating lesson. :(

-James

--- Robert Stevens <mtbiker62@hotmail.com> wrote: > You need to be way more specific than that. Say > exactly what you have been > having trouble with, which parts have been replaced > or looked for, and which > parts you are now looking for. > I now have over 14K on mine with no "shop time". > Bob Stevens > > http://groups.msn.com/BobsPhotoShare > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "James Adams" <james_adams@YAHOO.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2003 9:44 PM > Subject: Where can I find parts for my TiiCo engine > ? > > > > I'm wondering where I can find parts for my TiiCo > > engine. A previous mechanic tried to find common > > parts listed on the parts list provided on the > TiiCo > > webpage, and he said that he couldn't find a > single > > one. And now my van is in the shop again > > (unfortunately a very common occurrence since I > > installed the TiiCo) and the mechanic says he can > get > > a part number but this number does him no good. > My > > guess is that these parts are only available from > VW > > in South Africa or from Peter at TiiCo. > > > > Does anyone know the real deal on locating parts > for > > this engine ? > > > > Please Cc: your response to me at > > james_adams@yahoo.com if at all possible. Many > thanks > > in advance for any information. > > > > > > -James > > > > __________________________________ > > Do you Yahoo!? > > Yahoo! Calendar - Free online calendar with sync > to Outlook(TM). > > http://calendar.yahoo.com > >