Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Jun 2003 08:35:15 -0700
From:         Tracy Bonin <icculus22420@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      high idle issue after driving for awhile 1.9

Hi everyone, I have a question.......When I first start the bus it idles normally at about 1000 rpm. After driving for a period of time, whether it be 5min or a half hour it will idle at 2000 rpm. Now it's always done this for as long as I've had it, and now I really want to fix it. I brought it to my mechanic (vw phriendly) months ago, and after checking just about everything, he came to the conclusion that my intake manifold boots are the culprit, that it idles normally at first because the right amount of air is in them, but when I start to drive and they get going they suck in more air causing the high idle. Ok, so I went to order them from the bus depot, and I called the tech line first just for shits and giggles to see what they thought about the situation. They said that often times leaking intake manifold boots will cause a low idle, and to check my air flow meter itself. I would think that it my air flow meter was bad that it would idle irrationally constantly, not just after driving for awhile. I also noticed that my throttle sticks a little, and the return spring that is attached to it is weak, could this be the culprit?

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be the issue here?

thanx, Tracy