Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Jun 2003 13:42:01 -0400
From:         Tim Demarest <tim.demarest@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      Re: Air Flow Meter;
Comments: To: Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM>

I concur with Jay, just went through this with my '85...

By slowly pressing down on the gas in neutral, I could achieve any speed between 850 and 1000, or above 2800... there was nothing available in between. This made backing out of the driveway an adventure (to say the least). I checked all the usual suspects, including pulling the AFM boot to check for cracks. Everything appeared OK.

Pulled the airflow meter, hooked up an analog ohmmeter, and found a large dead spot in the resistance measurement when moving the air vane... it looked enough like the large dead spot in my accelerator pedal that I gambled the $280 on a replacement from Bus Depot. Problem solved!

Tim

At 12:32 PM 6/6/2003 -0400, Jay L Snyder wrote: >I still say the best way to check out your AFM is to slowly increase the >engine speed with your foot on the pedal and see if you can hold it steady >at various speeds. My old AFM would not. The new one does. And yes, I >have taken the top off of brand new AFM to tinker with it. It is easily >reset to the original setting. Very easy to go a little richer or leaner >by adjusting the spring tension. > > > Jay > > > > >zampano <matthias.k@ATTBI.COM>@gerry.vanagon.com> on 06/06/2003 12:11:44 PM > >Please respond to zampano <matthias.k@ATTBI.COM> > >Sent by: Vanagon Mailing List <vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com> > > >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >cc: >Subject: Re: Air Flow Meter; > > >I just got one from BD, new Bosch unit for $280.00. Can't beat that!!! >It was for my 84 WBX Man Wolfy with a deadbeat engine/head rebuild done >by a Southern California deadbeat shop, (but that's another story:) > >Why do you suspect the AFM??? > >In fault finding, the AFM and/or ECU are the last ones to be the >culprit, if they are, it means you'll find out only after you checked >and ruled out any other possible problems involving Digifant/Digijet, >the ignition and fuel supply. PITA. > >The static test in the Bentley might tell you your AFM is still "good" >since it is a limited test. It did so with mine, even though it was >bad, bad, bad. > >You can dig up my hodgepodge with the AFM in the archives, last month >or so. > >Happy Trails for the weekend everyone > >Cheers > >matthias > > >On Friday, June 6, 2003, at 08:13 am, Doktor Tim wrote: > > > At 07:46 AM 06/06/2003, you wrote: > > > >> At 10:22 AM 6/6/2003, John C. wrote: > >>> Does anyone know if the (VW) air flow meter cap, > >>> is supposed to just pop off? > >>> I`m prying kinda hard, > >>> & it`s not budging! :) > >> > >> They're a very light press fit -- grooved top fits over the aluminum > >> lip. But they're also sealed with a very tenacious silicone RTV. > > > > > > What this proves is they were not designed to be serviceable, which is > > what > > it says in the Bentley and which is why Bosch Corp offers no > > remanufactured > > units for them. When the spring starts to soften or the fuel pump > > points > > get worn or the reference tracks and pickups get worn or corroded, the > > only > > factory fix is to replace it. That is a hard pill to swallow. I just > > priced > > one for early Vanagon air cooled and list is $475. At my cost I can > > only > > knock about $50 off that. But it is the 10 to 20 year solution. > > > > Can't fault those who know better and invest tinkering time with no or > > short range results, then spend the actual money for an actual fix. > > Used > > from a junker is an alternative however don't pay a dime for such > > without > > first confirming the static tests given in Bentley. Of course, you > > should > > also run these tests on your own unit BEFORE removing the top for > > tinkering. Never pay a dime as well for any that have had the top > > removed > > for in many cases there the results will be nada. > > > > I do know that perfectly good AFM's get their tops pulled and tinkered > > with > > and turned into boat ballast. Shoot, $400 for no good reason is no way > > to > > care for your cost/mile over life. > > > > Verify per procedures given before opening your wallet. > > > > > > > >This communication is for use by the intended recipient and contains >information that may be privileged, confidential or copyrighted under >applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby >formally notified that any use, copying or distribution of this e-mail, >in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender >by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system. Unless >explicitly and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended", >this e-mail does not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment, >or an acceptance of a contract offer. This e-mail does not constitute >a consent to the use of sender's contact information for direct marketing >purposes or for transfers of data to third parties. > > Francais Deutsch Italiano Espanol Portugues Japanese Chinese Korean > > http://www.DuPont.com/corp/email_disclaimer.html