Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Jun 2003 14:55:37 -0700
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: UPDATE - Re: urgent "shifting problem" -problem WORSE
Comments: To: mostd@JUNO.COM

What is your vehicle, a Bus or Vanagon? They are different even though E-bay doesn't think so .

Robert 1982 Wesftalia

----Original Message Follows---- From: David Most <mostd@JUNO.COM> Reply-To: mostd@JUNO.COM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: UPDATE - Re: urgent "shifting problem" -problem WORSE Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 16:03:53 -0500

Today I tried driving for a few minutes, and I was able to shift (though it felt a little rough gettting into any gear). Then, all of a sudden, I heard a "thwap" sound, and I couldn't get into any gear. With the engine OFF, I was able to put it into 1st, start the engine, and hobble home in 1st. If I take it out of gear now with the engine on, it's almost impossible to get it back into any gear.

AND (I think this is important), depressing the clutch pedal doesn't seem to take the transmission out of gear (this happens in 1st and reverse).

So, I'm now officially stuck. Given the new symptoms, I'm guessing that there's some list wisdom as to what the problems might be. Any ideas out there?

Thanks to all who replied to my first request for help, and I'd appreciate any additional ideas and especially guidance on how to proceed.

David

____________________________________________ > > David Most wrote: > > > >My '87 is having a gear shifting problem, and as it's my only vehicle, I could use some help. I'll describe the situation briefly, but please ask me any questions that might help in determining how to proceed.

Here's the problem: I'm having difficulty shifting into gear, particularly into 1st or 2nd. Sometimes the problem is beyond difficult in that I can't shift out of neutral at all. TODAY is the first day that I've had such trouble, but I think the problem may be serious as I wasn't sure if I'd make it home. While parked with the engine off, the shifter just doesn't feel smooth or easy. At the last red traffic light before arriving home, I had to put it in 3rd to get going. It just wouldn't go into any other gear. I'm afraid to go anywhere at this point.

Related matters: The clutch was replaced about 14k ago, but for the last few months, I've heard a slight gurgling noise with the clutch pedal depressed while not moving. The suspicion has been one a bad bearing associated with the clutch. The operation of the clutch and transmission have been fine otherwise. The vanagon was sitting for the last two weeks without any use.

Question:

What steps can I take to diagnose and/or possibly correct the problem (even without diagnosis)? I'm in New Orleans right now, and I have yet to find a mechanic here who knows anything about vanagons. So, I'd like to do as much as I can myself.

Thank you all for your help.

David

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!

Robert 1982 Westfalia 1987 Wolfsburg

_________________________________________________________________ STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail