Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Jun 2003 19:15:28 EDT
From:         Bob Paul <BPAULTR3@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: So... what is the answer for these poor lights?
Comments: To: ri@RASAPRABHU.ORG

In a message dated 6/6/2003 3:29:09 PM Mountain Daylight Time, ri@RASAPRABHU.ORG writes:

<< Can someone one enlighten us on what is the *true* way to have proper lighting? >>

I just installed a set of Hella, 55W, 6" round driving lights purchased at the local Pep Boys for about $70. It took me most of a day to install them, but I quit in the mid day heat and had a few cold ones to fortify myself.

I LOVE the look of seperate and round old style driving lights so I am pleased with the appearance. They come on automatically with the high beams and there is an over ride switch to turn off the driving lights if you wish. They DO illuminate the road as far as you need to see for safety , at least 1/4 mile. I think this is an easy and inexpensive option to put more light on the road. Deep in Mexico, late at night you often come onto vehicles with NO lights at all front or back. Animals and people are never lighted! If you don't like the round, there are smaller rectangular units at 55W also. My son wants to mount 4 of these across the luggage rack !!. Now that would put some light on the road!

Here's all I did: Remove bumper - two screws and two bolts Remove both front grilles (took this opportunity to clean them up real nice with 4 O steel wool.) remove bolts from fuse holder bracket and let it droop Drop cover under the steering wheel remove the cover over the instrument cover. Drill 2 holes in bumper ( i went in about 13 inches from the metal bumper so as not to block the air flow to the lower intake and set the edge of the hole just next to the step down on the bumper profile so as to keep them close to the body) Mount fixtures to bumper, tight enough to be moveable but not sloppy loose as you have to remove the bumper again to tighten them up. I used a little medium strength locktite) Re-attach bumper. Route wires from lights through fire wall to fuse block area, they fit right through one of hte existing penetrations ( I conected a ground wire directly to the grounding block under the dash) Using a seperate switch is optional, I installed the one that came with the lights into the blank below the 4 ways by drilling a hole and glueing in place. The optional VW switch is NLS. Route wires under the dash from the switch to the fuse block area. Install relay for lights. ( I attached it to an empty spot on the relay block using a small screw) Wire up according to directions, requiring only some snipping and attaching spade connector ends. You can pick up the high beam hot wire under teh dash) Test lights. Replace grilles, fuse block,dash covers, Everything you need is with the kit, except I used a few additional crimp on spade connectors (blue) and a bunch of plastic ties to keep things neat and under control.

Try it, you'll like it:) I'll let you know the effect of the luggage mount lights later.

Bob 84 Westy Corrales NM