Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Jun 2003 19:45:26 -0500
From:         Jay Roth <bghuna@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Help needed - camping TOMORROW (long)

I've an '87 Westy that has been a great performer...and getting ready for tomorrow, I guess she wanted to show me who was boss:

1) Filled water tank to check pump. NO action. No sound. nothing. I checked the current under the knob and it's reading 12V. hmmm... okay, so maybe pump is bad. I noticed the * green light lights when I try it (I thought that was for the propane on the frig!?) Of course, the water pump worked last time I tried it sooo... For grins (and a mistake)...

2) I hooked up the CITY water outlet (never tried before). What sounds like a PUMP AT THE OUTSIDE HOOKUP goes off (LOUD) and sink works on City side. Thus, I disconnect the hose, but not before damage is done. Inside the floor of the van, water...mud...oh dear. Using a shop vac, I got at least a quart of water from the corner of the cabinet behind the driver's chair. (Thankfully, nothing in the cabinet was wet).

Now it gets worse,

3) Suddenly, the INDICATOR PANEL no longer works! (I decided to forget the water stuff and just begin cooling the frig by hooking it to an extension cord via the plug outside - worked yesterday). I check the fuse mounted by the cabinet/outside wall/behind-driver's-seat and one is blown. Replace and get 12V on the one that was blown. NO CURRENT ON THE OTHER ONE (the non-blown fuse side).

PULL OUT THE BENTLEY - get terribly confused - thinking it's OBVIOUSLY ANOTHER FUSE BLOWN! Bently says, "check the indicator panel fuse below driver's seat"... in the spare battery compartment??!

4) FINE - I'll just keep the refrig plugged in overnight, let it cool, and we'll go as is...but I don't think the frig is working either!

After scratching my head, tearing up and saying, "Our FIRST EVER camping trip will be with no stove, no water, and now no frig!?"

. . .

Help a new Westy owner out... PLEASE! A new family's new fun is relying on your help!

Love, Light & Laughter, Jay