Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Jun 2003 22:37:10 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Help needed - camping TOMORROW (long)
Comments: To: Jay Roth <bghuna@MCHSI.COM>

At 08:45 PM 6/6/2003, Jay Roth wrote: >1) Filled water tank to check pump. NO action. No sound. nothing. I checked >the current under the knob and it's reading 12V. hmmm... okay, so maybe pump >is bad. I noticed the * green light lights when I try it

Top three lights on left side indicate water level -- almost full, not almost full, almost empty (and if you have the electrode-type sender and not the float-type, really really almost empty [all lights off]). Bottom light is flame detector.

>3) Suddenly, the INDICATOR PANEL no longer works! (I decided to forget the >water stuff and just begin cooling the frig by hooking it to an extension >cord via the plug outside - worked yesterday). I check the fuse mounted by >the cabinet/outside wall/behind-driver's-seat and one is blown. Replace and >get 12V on the one that was blown. NO CURRENT ON THE OTHER ONE (the >non-blown fuse side).

The 8-amp fuse that blew is the pump/panel/fridge fan fuse. Question is why did it blow, and what's full of water...

The 16-amp fuse is for the fridge DC heating element and won't be hot unless the engine is running and alternator charging. driver's seat"... in the spare battery compartment??!

>4) FINE - I'll just keep the refrig plugged in overnight, let it cool, and >we'll go as is...but I don't think the frig is working either!

Did you check the breaker for the 110 VAC? Same question -- you've been spraying water around in that general area. Spells BEWARE to me...

>After scratching my head, tearing up and saying, "Our FIRST EVER camping >trip will be with no stove, no water, and now no frig!?"

What's wrong with the stove? Gas problem?

I would suggest to remove the LED panel (two screws from front) and make sure it's dry -- it's not cheap, though not difficult/expensive to fix if you know how.

I'd also suggest to not use 110 volt hookup at all until you KNOW that it's all dry -- duplex outlet under sink, fridge wiring, breaker and duplex outlet aft of fridge (probably dry since it's pretty closed-in -- access by removing bottom of forward pot-locker).

If you don't get the pump working, you can dip water from the access cover in top of tank -- remove one screw from sheet-metal in bottom of the after pot-locker and rotate it out of the way. Warm the big cover with a hair dryer and unscrew it -- put some Vaseline or silicone grease on the threads before replacing.

Take a cooler -- the fridge will hold cool for about 13.47 seconds if it's not actively running. Use it for dry storage on this trip (unless it runs on gas).

Check that the pantry (under sink) shelf supports aren't pulling out of the walls before putting cans and such on the shelf.

Have a great time. Don't sweat the small stuff...

:) d

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"