Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Jun 2003 08:28:03 EDT
From:         No Name Available <Vanagonluvr@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 86 syncro I-4 swap
Comments: To: warmerwagen@hotmail.com

to Wormy guy or whatever....

I see that you are only reading what you want to read and you are spouting off about something entirely different than I was talking about. I have no quams with the inline four motor. I beleive it is a better motor for its INTENDED PURPOSED. But as for it going into the Vanagon it is a BAD Idea. It rattles itself apart. the only gain apart fom a little HP is eas of access to high maintenence parts, but at what cost, you will need new teeth when you get done summer traveling from the vibration. The vanagon flat four is a smooth running motor and the german engineers knew that. they actually wanted to put a six in there. American EPA rules wouldnt allow for a higher capacity motor without major price changing. So you should be happy to have a Vanagon at all. the I4 was desinged for a front wheel drive car not a rear wheel drive Vanagon.... As for a water pump. Yup I done that..... In fact I have probably changed 100 or more, it aint that bad dude. dont be such a whimp. Go buy a Hyundai they have 10000 mile warranties. you wont have to change that H2O pump. you can just throw away that car when your done with it. Have you ever changed the valley pan gasket on an Audi? now that was a FU%^ up on the engineers part. but they are still selling those like crazy. Now try the water pump on one of those, you need special tools that cost as much as the I4 motor. What about a good ol SAAB 900 have you ever changed the Oil Pump gasket? They always leak there. You want to scream for a while at some bad engineering. <<<<Something Almost Always Broken >>>. While we are at it. have you ever owned an american car? After 90k miles they are pretty much crap throw out peices of scrap metal. they have no blue book value and you want to complain about changing motor parts! there isnt any rhym or reason as to the bolt selection so you need every tool that I dont have to fix anyhting.

In fact have you ever changed anything in anything else other than your vanagon?

It wasnt supposed to be easy , cause then the dealer wouldnt make any money on the maintenance, DUH.. get greasy and think about the zen involved dont hurry through it like its a race... FYI I have been woking on and specializing in WBX and flat fours as well as Audis and other VWs for 16 years Chris is my name

VT 91 westy 87 westy syncro Both w flats and still happy

<<<< wormywagen wrote>>>> To "No Brain Available" or anyone else who thinks the inline four is a very bad idea have you ever changed a water pump on a WBX? Or the head gaskets?

Now try this on the I-4- it's a piece of cake.

Please please please think before you speak trash about our beloved inline four engines.

Get you some wrenches and do the head gasket change on both WBX and I-4 and see for yourself how much more complicated it is to change head gaskets on the WBX.

The beauty of the inline is that the headgaskets almost never need changing. A very durable design which is why these engines last so long .

I've been driving my inline four Westfalia for 8 years>>>>>>>>>>>>>>