Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Jun 2003 09:14:27 -0700
From:         Mary <iris@PRADO.COM>
Subject:      seatbelts and vanagons/westies (formerly about alcohol and
              vanagons)

At 08:31 AM 6/7/2003 -0700, Bill N wrote: >Is your Westy a motorhome? Maybe. Re-read the past few day's messages >about trying to insure your Westy as a motorhome. Most list members have >unable to get their insurance company to agree. Do you want to bet your >freedom on whether you can convince a judge or jury that your Westy is a >motorhome? That's right, your freedom. Arizona has mandatory sentencing >for DUI, so if you are convicted, you are going to prison. It's a >felony. No more voting, no more gun ownership, no more employment at a >lot of companies, schools, and other places.

We just bought a '71 Westfalia. Two or three issues have to be fixed before we consider it usable. One is that the driver's seatbelt is fraying, so we'll replace it. We feel naked without seatbelts. In fact, we're much more comfortable naked. Without a seatbelt on, I can just *feel* the sensation of my body going through the windshield. My mom raised me that way. I can't get past it.

In fact, we're so insistent on seatbelts that we were delighted that the rear-facing passenger seat has a seatbelt, as we seatbelt our dog. We don't want her through the windshield in an accident, and we don't want her bouncing around as a projectile if we roll. It's not just that we don't want her hurt, we also don't want a 40 lb object bouncing around to hit us.

However, the bench seat doesn't have seatbelts. California has a mandatory belt law, but I don't *think* it applies to "classic cars." Anyone have other information? If we do have to have belts to have passengers in that seat, how can we get them *properly* and safely installed? I'd rather have passengers beltless than in unsafe seatbelts. (The dog's in a safe belt. :) She wears a harness made for the purpose, with the seatbelt going through a loop on the back.)

Mary

~~~~~ "It's not that the English language is flexible, it's that Mary exerts undue force on it." --Casey Grimm mary@alamedacreek.net* * * * http://www.alamedacreek.net ~~~~~