Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Jun 2003 12:26:32 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Beta Testers Needed NOW for NEW BusDepot.com - 10% Discount!

I need some help from listmembers over this weekend.

Sometime on Monday, the all-new BusDepot.com will be unveiled. In the meantime - this weekend , thru thru Sunday night - I really need the help of as many listmembers as possible, to put the site through its paces before it goes "live." I need you to let me know what problems you find.

In return for your help, I will give you a 10% discount on a future Bus Depot order. See below.

CHANGES IN THE NEW SITE

The site is completely new from the ground up, and is about as close to state of the art as a small business (without amazon.com's budget) can get. There are too many changes to go into here. Some are outlined at http://venus.webappcabaret.net/busdepot/help.jsp#ABOUTSITE but you'll have to browse around it to really get a feel for it.

One big change is that we've increased the parts database from about 15,000 parts, to roughly 200,000 - making BusDepot.com literally the largest online consumer VW parts database on the planet. We've combined the complete product databases from a number of importers and wholesalers, plus nearly the whole TMI catalog, and almost every "dealer" part as well. Some of it is not yet cataloged by application (this will take time), and there are some vendors who didn't get us their files yet, so it will still get better. But even now, it's probably safe to say that you're more likely to find a part on BusDepot.com than anywhere else.

Yes, this means that BusDepot.com now lists a full line of Volkswagen CAR parts as well (and at our usual deep discounts). While our focus is and will remain Busses and Vans, there were some logical reasons for expanding to VW cars. About half of you also own a VW car, and we routinely get inquiries from list members as to whether we can get them comparable discounts on a part for their Ghia, Jetta, etc. Of course, many of our suppliers also carry VW Car parts, so we always had good availability and the opportunity to buy them cheap. So we decided to offer them to our existing customer base. Adding them is a win/win situation. Since we're already dealing with these suppliers anyway, it doesn't dilute our Bus/Van efforts. But the added volume does give us a lot more clout with them. Which means we can negotiate sharper prices, and demand better availability and quality, on the Bus and Vanagon parts that are the core of our efforts. So if you buy your VW Original Beetle or New Beetle parts from the Depot, you'll not only get a killer deal on those parts, but you'll also help ensure the future of good, cheap parts for your Bus or Vanagon. Everybody wins.

BETA TESTING OFFER (AND DISCOUNT COUPON)

I need as many eyes as possible looking at this site for me. You will really be doing me a favor, as I'm bleary eyed and just can't finish it up without some extra sets of eyes. (I've been working on this for six months now - and 80 to 90 hours a week for the last month. I'm ready to drop!) But the site is still rough, even with all that work. It just takes forever to manually sift through hundreds of thousands of entries looking for errors, so there are lots that weren't found yet.

So what I'm asking is this. Put the site through its paces. You can even place an "order." As long as you do it before 3 AM Monday morning (on the new website, not busdepot.com), it will not be processed, since we are only testing. Look for anything and everything, and send me a list of whatever you find. Hopefully, a long list! Email it to me directly - ron@busdepot.com - with BETA included in the subject header.

If you send me a legitimate list of problems/errors/issues (there are plenty to find!), I'll reciprocate by sending you a coupon code for 10% off a Bus Depot order (good for a limited timeframe). That's double the normal listmember discount. (Same terms as normal listmember discount will apply.) If you want, while you're testing the site, you can even put together an order for your 10% discount, save it under your account using the Want List feature until the site goes live, and then later retrieve it and apply the coupon. (Note: See Want List bug below.)

The types of problems that I'd like to know about include (but are not limited to):

1) Graphics or cosmetic flaws: i.e. a line break in the text that shouldn't be there, causing one word to sit off by itself, or any other cosmetic flaws. Since many of you have different web browsers, the site may look slightly different for you than for me.

2) Part data errors: - Part application errors (i.e. when you click on the part, the details show that it doesn't fit the VW model it is listed under) - Part descriptions that are wrong, don't make sense, missing, etc. - Duplicate parts (i.e. the same part listed twice under different part numbers, perhaps even at different prices) - Please look over the CAR listings too. This is particularly important since I haven't looked at them much myself. If you have a VW car, browse for parts for it and tell me what you think/find.

3) Picture errors: i.e. the wrong picture, a picture that still says "click back on your browser" from the old busdepot site, etc.

4) Bugs in the way the features work, navigation, etc. Coupon code (i.e. PROJECT800), want list, etc. (Exactly what were you doing that made the bug show up?)

5) General comments and suggestions. Be brutally honest. I really want to know.

KNOWN BUGS: (hopefully fixed sometime on the weekend): I) WANT LIST: for the time being you MUST LOG-OUT (using the "my account" screen) before you exit your browser, or the want list will not be saved. 2) HOT BUYS and BARGAIN BIN parts do not automatically display at the bottom of each page as the page says they should. (However there is a click-to-display option for the Bargain items.) 3) Emailed order-confirmation letter needs some work. 4) I still need to update (reduce) some Eurovan prices.

The temporary URL of the new site is http://venus.webappcabaret.net/busdepot

Thanks in advance for all your help!!!

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT