Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Jun 2003 13:07:51 -0400
From:         walt spak <b20swalt@ATTBI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Insuring 1982 Westy as an RV ?
Comments: To: David and Shirin <daveshirin@ENERGYUNITED.NET>

David,

I have Erie car insurance and know that they only operate in some states, so it may not be available to you.

I am divorced & my oldest moved out on his own before my youngest was 16. When the younger got his drivers license, I was running a 91 GL (car plates) & an 84 Westy (motor home plates), my agents help called & informed me that my son would become principle driver of one of the "cars" and that it would cost about $1300.00 per year. I informed them that I only had one car, plus a motor home and that they should make him secondary driver on the car. Well, I sent them pictures, but the underwriter continued to reject it because the VIN number was the same as all other Vanagons.

I persisted, and eventually the question went all the way to the Co. headquarters in Erie PA. They came back with the revelation that they had determined way back in the 50's that Westy's were in fact motor homes. So my son became the secondary driver on the 91 GL at about $300.00 per year.

After the whole thing was said & done, I asked if he was allowed to drive the motor home. They replied that of course he was. No mileage or time restrictions either.

Now, I understand that RV & motor home insurance may be 2 different things and that every state has different licensing & insurance regulations, but it pays to persevere.

Walt Spak Pittsburgh PA b20swalt@attbi.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "David and Shirin" <daveshirin@ENERGYUNITED.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, June 06, 2003 2:45 PM Subject: Insuring 1982 Westy as an RV ?

Just talked to my Progressive insurance agent and to RV America Insurance and to get Motor Home insurance on my Westy requires that I have a "fully plumbed" toilet and heat and air that works when the van is not being driven. Has anyone on the list been able to get RV insurance on there Westy, I just looked through the archives and called Nationwide to try insuring it as a campmobile and that didnt work either.

David