Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Jun 2003 10:15:07 -0700
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Fwd: Re: 86 syncro I-4 swap

----Original Message Follows----

Chris wrote:

<<to Wormy guy or whatever....

I see that you are only reading what you want to read and you are spouting off about something entirely different than I was talking about. I have no quams with the inline four motor. I beleive it is a better motor for its INTENDED PURPOSED. But as for it going into the Vanagon it is a BAD Idea. It rattles itself apart.>>

But the inline four was adapted to the Vanagon in form of the Diesel and in South Africa as a gas motor, and this SA engine is being sold here as the Tiico . I haven't had any of the vibration problems, my engine is very smooth running and quiet, using a 2.1 WBX muffler. Yes, there are some things I like about the WBX.

<<the only gain apart fom a little HP is eas of access to high maintenence parts, but at what cost, you will need new teeth when you get done summer traveling from the vibration.>>

This must have happened to you ? It's never been my experience. My engine doesn't vibrate itself apart. Not yet in 8 years. I must have done something right- not bad for an amateur.Of course I got my start in mechanics working on aircraft at age fifteen -that may have had an influence on me.

A few of the Tiico SA engines have vibration problems, but the cause has been determined to be the alternator/AC brackets which come with the kit.

High maintenance parts? I would'nt say changing the timing belt every 60,000 miles is high maintenance. The engine has hydraulic valves, electronic pointless ignition, and a serpentine belt with automatic tensioner. All I have to do is regular tune-up maintenance.

Horsepower? None of the WBX I have driven can merge onto my local freeway ahead of the long line of semis like my inline-four can.This is the ultimate test- third geareally pulls. And I have the air-cooled trans with the taller final drive.

<<The Vanagon flat four is a smooth running motor and the german engineers knew that. they actually wanted to put a six in there. American EPA rules wouldnt allow for a higher capacity motor without major price changing. So you should be happy to have a Vanagon at all. the I4 was desinged for a front wheel drive car not a rear wheel drive Vanagon.... As for a water pump. Yup I done that..... In fact I have probably changed 100 or more, it aint that bad dude. dont be such a whimp.>>

Aha! Do I suspect you make your living working on the WBX? The "cash cow" of VW?

It's true-I'm a whimp because I spent most of my life digging with a shovel when I could have done the job in a week with a backhoe.

<<Go buy a Hyundai they have 10000 mile warranties. you wont have to change that H2O pump. you can just throw away that car when your done with it.>>

I have never owned a car from Korea but I understand Kim Jong Il does. If only he owned a Vanagon he might lighten up a little. Ah but leaking heads might throw him into a fit of nuclear proportions!

I considered a Hun-die it but then noticed it did'nt have a bed, fridge, sink, stove, or a pop-top. The Westfalia has all of these, and we don't throw them away, we keep them going with whatever engine is most practical or economical to use-even if it's a WBX.

I have both WBX and inline four.There are some things I like about the WBX.

<<Have you ever changed the valley pan gasket on an Audi? now that was a FU%^ up on the engineers part. but they are still selling those like crazy. Now try the water pump on one of those, you need special tools that cost as much as the I4 motor. What about a good ol SAAB 900 have you ever changed the Oil Pump gasket? They always leak there. You want to scream for a while at some bad engineering. <<<<Something Almost Always Broken >>>.

I never said I did'nt sympathize with foreign car mechanics- I have to hand it to you for the willingness to do this thankless work.

<<While we are at it. have you ever owned an american car?>>

YeS! I have 20 years of maintaining one Ford Granada Mom owned-at 95,000 miles it was an oil-burning pile of garbage. The Buick Skylark Mom owned also was burning oil at 80,000- and both cars got regular oil and filter changes.

<<After 90k miles they are pretty much crap throw out peices of scrap metal. they have no blue book value and you want to complain about changing motor parts! there isnt any rhym or reason as to the bolt selection so you need every tool that I dont have to fix anyhting.>>

True!!!!!!!!!!

<<In fact have you ever changed anything in anything else other than your vanagon?>>

Yes- I have worked on other cars which is why I love the Vanagon so much. Everything is accessible-the inline-four engine is even easier to access in a Vanagon than in a Golf or Jetta- I know- I have had both. You can pull the trans independently of the engine- not so on the older VW bus I used to drive.

<<It wasnt supposed to be easy , cause then the dealer wouldnt make any money on the maintenance, DUH.. get greasy and think about the zen involved dont hurry through it like its a race... FYI I have been woking on and specializing in WBX and flat fours as well as Audis and other VWs for 16 years->>

If you have to work on them daily fixing other peoples problems than I can see how that could take the fun out of it, especially the problems caused by the owner.

I might be singing the same tune if I did'nt know what I was doing before I picked up the wrench. You are certainly entitled to your opinion or bias against inline -fours and their application to the Vanagon, but my observation both perssonally and of others on the list who own them is that they are very happy and have none of the problems you have witnessed.

And of course you will see more problems than us being in the business of solving them.

<< Chris is my name>>

whimpwagen is mine-

Cheeers and laugh a little-

Robert

1982 Westfalia

VT 91 westy 87 westy syncro Both w flats and still happy

<<<< wormywagen wrote>>>> To "No Brain Available" or anyone else who thinks the inline four is a very bad idea have you ever changed a water pump on a WBX? Or the head gaskets?

Now try this on the I-4- it's a piece of cake.

Please please please think before you speak trash about our beloved inline four engines.

Get you some wrenches and do the head gasket change on both WBX and I-4 and see for yourself how much more complicated it is to change head gaskets on the WBX.

The beauty of the inline is that the headgaskets almost never need changing. A very durable design which is why these engines last so long .

I've been driving my inline four Westfalia for 8 years>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Robert 1982 Westfalia 1987 Wolfsburg

_________________________________________________________________ Help STOP SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

Robert 1982 Westfalia 1987 Wolfsburg

_________________________________________________________________ MSN 8 helps eliminate e-mail viruses. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus