Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Jun 2003 19:01:21 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: BusDepot.Com Beta Test - STILL TESTING

The BusDepot.com beta test will continue overnight, as I have had so much help from list members that I am not done fixing everything! (I prefer to look at it this way, rather than from the negative standpoint of their being so much to fix. :-) New "hoped for" live date is sometime tomorrow. I'd rather be cautious than jump the gun.

I have implemented many suggestions made by people who sent comments, and have some to do still. The site will definitely be easier for you to use and more accurate, directly as a result of your input. So keep sending your comments, bug reports, etc. You are determining much about the final look/feel of the site (and are finding plenty of stupid part errors, too, which is great). Everything helps.

I have copied the section of my original email regarding the beta test, below, explaining some of what I'm looking for. Please go all the way to placing an "order" if you can. (It will not be filled if placed while we are beta-testing, but it will help us make sure everything works.) Also we have had isolated complaints about people being unable to set up an account, shopping cart abnormalities, and the checkout form adding up the prices plus shipping incorrectly. (!) Let me know if any of these happen to you. And please provide as much detail as possible, i.e. what page you were on, what browser, if you got an error message what it said, etc.

I will extend my offer to send a 10% off coupon to anyone who sends me a bonafide list of bugs, errors, problems, etc.

Once again, the test URL is http://venus.webappcabaret.net/busdepot . I will post here when the site goes live and the testing is over.

Thanks again for all your help. You're all great!!!

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---

BETA TESTING OFFER (AND DISCOUNT COUPON)

I need as many eyes as possible looking at this site for me. You will really be doing me a favor, as I'm bleary eyed and just can't finish it up without some extra sets of eyes. (I've been working on this for six months now - and 80 to 90 hours a week for the last month. I'm ready to drop!) But the site is still rough, even with all that work. It just takes forever to manually sift through hundreds of thousands of entries looking for errors, so there are lots that weren't found yet.

So what I'm asking is this. Put the site through its paces. You can even place an "order." As long as you do it before 3 AM Monday morning (on the new website, not busdepot.com), it will not be processed, since we are only testing. Look for anything and everything, and send me a list of whatever you find. Hopefully, a long list! Email it to me directly - ron@busdepot.com - with BETA included in the subject header.

If you send me a legitimate list of problems/errors/issues (there are plenty to find!), I'll reciprocate by sending you a coupon code for 10% off a Bus Depot order (good for a limited timeframe). That's double the normal listmember discount. (Same terms as normal listmember discount will apply.) If you want, while you're testing the site, you can even put together an order for your 10% discount, save it under your account using the Want List feature until the site goes live, and then later retrieve it and apply the coupon. (Note: See Want List bug below.)

The types of problems that I'd like to know about include (but are not limited to):

1) Graphics or cosmetic flaws: i.e. a line break in the text that shouldn't be there, causing one word to sit off by itself, or any other cosmetic flaws. Since many of you have different web browsers, the site may look slightly different for you than for me.

2) Part data errors: - Part application errors (i.e. when you click on the part, the details show that it doesn't fit the VW model it is listed under) - Part descriptions that are wrong, don't make sense, missing, etc. - Duplicate parts (i.e. the same part listed twice under different part numbers, perhaps even at different prices) - Please look over the CAR listings too. This is particularly important since I haven't looked at them much myself. If you have a VW car, browse for parts for it and tell me what you think/find.

3) Picture errors: i.e. the wrong picture, a picture that still says "click back on your browser" from the old busdepot site, etc.

4) Bugs in the way the features work, navigation, etc. Coupon code (i.e. PROJECT800), want list, etc. (Exactly what were you doing that made the bug show up?)

5) General comments and suggestions. Be brutally honest. I really want to know.

KNOWN BUGS: (hopefully fixed sometime on the weekend): I) WANT LIST: for the time being you MUST LOG-OUT (using the "my account" screen) before you exit your browser, or the want list will not be saved. 2) HOT BUYS and BARGAIN BIN parts do not automatically display at the bottom of each page as the page says they should. (However there is a click-to-display option for the Bargain items.) 3) Emailed order-confirmation letter needs some work. 4) I still need to update (reduce) some Eurovan prices.