Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Jun 2003 22:06:16 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>
Subject:      Re: AT internals: governor seal

Thank you for the valuable tip. I noticed when I took out the cover for the pinion seal that I was able to see into the seal area. I was still trying to figure a way to push or pull it out the governor hole though. I didn't think about pushing it into the final drive cavity. Excellent tip! Edward

At 10:42 PM 6/8/2003, you wrote: >Absolutely right: this seal keeps gear oil and auto transmission apart >from each other. To rremove and replace this seal you need to be a little >inventive, but no special tools. This is how i removed and replaced mine: >remove the governor cover, then remove the shaft with centrifugal weights. >Using a 3/8 drive, 13mm socket attached to a extension, tap the seal into >the final drive cavity. To install the new seal: place the seal in the >governor shaft hole, and tap it gently with the same socket/extension >until flush with the inside end of the hole. Make sure to lubricate the >outside of the seal to make it slide easily into position and you are >done. Good luck and be patient. > > > >>From: Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US> >>Reply-To: Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US> >>To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >>Subject: AT internals: governor seal >>Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 19:21:09 -0400 >> >>I'm working on my AT rebuild, and replacing seals on the final drive >>section. I am having trouble getting the governor shaft seal out of >>there. Bentley shows a special tool, and I don't have that tool. Any >>suggestions? How critical is replacing this seal? It seems like a place >>where the ATF and gear oils could possibly mix. Thanks for any advice. >>Edward > >_________________________________________________________________ >The new MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE* >http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail