Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Jun 2003 07:57:02 -0400
From:         Doug Alcock <doug.alcock@HEWITT.COM>
Subject:      Re: 81 Vanagon needs restoration looking for ideas

I think the good Doktor meant this for the list rather than for me................. ----- Forwarded by Doug Alcock/Toronto/Hewitt Associates on 06/10/2003 07:55 AM -----

Doktor Tim <doktortim@rockisland.com> 06/09/2003 03:41 PM

To: Doug Alcock/Toronto/Hewitt Associates@Hewitt Associates NA cc: Subject: Re: 81 Vanagon needs restoration looking for ideas

I would in fact be happy to contract with you to make your Vanagon like new again. It would require full disassembly and fixing of everything as it is

reassembled. You are looking at a budget of $15,000, + or - $5000 depending upon the actual conditions which won't be known until the teardown is complete. This assumes a proper spec motor rebuild, a proper spec transmission rebuild, new CV joints, new brake and clutch cylinders, and replacement of any other items shown to be worn near or beyond specs. Heater will be fixed, sealed and functional, all instruments functional, new turn signal and ignition switches, reman starter and alternator (Genuine Bosch Corp.). It would also include removal and cleaning of the fuel tank and replacement of the sender if worn.

I will be happy to commit to a delivery date certain and would depend upon

scheduling the paint booth, but would be from 30 to 60 days from deposit and delivery to my shop. I can even make you some custom bumpers that will

not fold for not more than the cost of new originals. It's about the only weak point an air cooled vanagon has.

When I'm done, the mechanicals and electricals and hydraulics will be spec

throughout and it will drive as a new Vanagon should. German parts will be

used in all cases except if NLA, then discussions of alternatives will commence.

You would have to bring the chassis to me in NW Washington state. Understand, you might find a descent Vanagon out here that would cost less

to restore and save the shipping cost. Let me know if you want me to start

watching for one. There are at least 5 dozen Vanagons on the island. VW vans are the most rational vehicle if you have to go to the mainland to stock the larder several times per year.

At 08:33 AM 06/09/2003, you wrote: > >I have an 81 Vanagon that is in desperate need of restoration. By >restoration, I mean that I know I'm going to be >putting some money into >this thing. It needs engine work, >dash board, instrument >panel, stereo, and basically anything forward of >the steering wheel is gonna need some work. The electrical system >also >appears to have been put together by an epileptic octopus.

New wiring harness installed after painting will fix that.

If you really mean that, you really want to talk to me. In my mind, right is the way it was when new from the factory. That is my goal in all repair

and restoration. It is the only way to insure results everytime.

>I would like to have it restored to >showroom quality, but I don't know >where I should look for someone to do that kind of work. I live in the > >Louisville, Kentucky area and though the van doesn't run, I would >probably be willing to tow it just about anywhere >to get it fixed.

If you mean that, then my location should not be an objection.

I am bondable and will provide references at your request.

I am,

T.P. Stephens Doktor Tim's Spezialwerkstat Maintenance, Repair and Restoration European Vehicles Exclusively Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, WA

(360) 378-6258