Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:15:56 -0400
From:         Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      85mph, my 1.7L will kick your 2.1L (he he he)

Hi guys, for those who followed my story /problem, here is the conclusion

My last trip was a mechanical hell: http://www.eurokitplane.com/intro.htm

The engine condition after this trip (and before!!!!!!): http://www.desert2002.com/heads.htm

Since then (1.5 month ago), i have rebuild the top end (checking crank and stuff), re-check the carbs, almost rebuild an 78 injection (not finish) and did many, many, many other mechanical stuff. (120 pictures will follow on my site), 2 good heads were rebuild by a pro (friend of mine) including welded seat, yes, welded seat!!!! new valves, guides, springs.... and so on. (my 1.7L is oversize by 2mm)

The engine was put back friday, started saturday and tested all day sunday (300 miles). The result: -2 intake valves had to be re-adjudsted, a bit tight (Back fire, now ok) -2 pushrod tube were leaking, fixed. (most after market O-ring sucks!!! OK CIP1!!!!!!) -Compression is about 135psi all around. -Engine temps(heads) never over 340F (was always 420F before!) -Start right away, cold or warm. (not even a 1/4 of a turn) -Power is wonderful, i cannot belive that the 1.7 is pushing like that. 75/80 mph without any problem. I went out for a ride yesterday night and the wind was blowing at 120mph, even with that very strong head wind (he he) i was able to do 70mph, head temp was steady at 350F, so i put out the wings and went for a flight....... (he he)

It's sad and nice! I wish i had this engine condition in Mexico!

I was blaming the carbs all along!!!! Well, they still sucks a bit but.............hey, they are not that bad and working almost perfect. Still, FI is my next project, very soon)

The conclusion, before blaming any carbs problems, check the basic stuff (Compression-timming) CHECK YOUR VALVES ADJUSTMENT OFTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (on T2), they can ruin an engine quite fast)

Thanks to all who have help fot the past month, i am now ready to help other with type2 engine (and many other VW stuff), like i laways did!

Overall, i know like my 73! Power is quite the same as the Vanagon (difference in weight) and it dam* look better then your ugly aries-K car style Vanagon.................. he he he he..... (am looking to buy an empty-no engine 87 westy for a new project, don't tell any one!!!! i will maybe put a Porsche engine, sssssshhhhhhhhhhh.........)

Cheers, Ben http://pages.infinit.net/eurokit/