Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 10 Jun 2003 11:17:08 -0700
From:         "Douglas L. Urner" <dlu@PATROSA.CANISHE.COM>
Subject:      Re: 81 Vanagon in need of restoration...
Comments: To: Joe Denison <Misto619@NETSCAPE.NET>
              2003 03:21:03 EDT."

>Anyway, thanks for the injection of common sense, but as usual, I'll >have to take a pass and side with emotionalism over rationality. Give >me this much credit as you laugh at me, I at least understand my >problem, even if I'm unwilling to do what may well be the 'right >thing' about it.

There is nothing "wrong" about deciding to restore your van -- heck in our "throw away" world, I find it down right admirable. You understand your options, and have to make the hard call of how much money you can afford to spend to satisfy your heart. I think I understand the dilemma, I have a wooden boat *and* a Vanagon :-)

From the sounds of it you could get a pretty near "brand new" Vanagon from Doktor Tim for $15,000, plus or minus. That doesn't sound like a bad price to me -- though it might not be something you could get a bank to fund. Maybe you'd even want to put some more money into having a good sound proofing job done. Assuming that you're not up to doing the work yourself (or that you wouldn't love doing it), spending the money all at once is probably the cheapest way to go, and even on credit cards you'll probably come out ahead of what you'd have to pay (including interest) for a newer van in comperable condition. The other plus of doing the work now is that Vanagon parts are just going to get harder and harder to find. Restoring the car now gives you a much better chance to do a good job than you might have in 10 years.

Nobody ever gets their money out of a car. It seems like a more realisitic goal is to get the cost down under $0.35/mile. You might just be able to do that -- assuming that the car will last another 100,000 miles.

But make sure you listen to the heart part of Stan's advice -- make sure that you can *really* afford to restore the car (time, money, hassles), if you can it will be a family treasure. If you can't, it could hurt the very thing you're trying to preserve.

Good luck!

Doug -- Douglas L. Urner <dlu@canishe.com> Port Orchard, WA +1 360 769 5565