Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Jun 2003 10:12:32 EDT
From:         Bob Paul <BPAULTR3@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tire Pressure
Comments: To: william.russell@UW-INC.COM

In a message dated 6/9/2003 3:15:42 PM Mountain Daylight Time, william.russell@UW-INC.COM writes:

<< I'm heading out on a big road trip and I'm really concerned about making sure my baby is in tip top travelling shape. What should I keep my tire pressures at on a 1980 Westfalia with three people plus gear? >>

The recommended tire pressures published by the vehicle manufacturer and usually affixed inside the drivers door somewhere or in the drivers handbook refer to proper pressures for the suspension and handling of that particular vehicle. Note, these pressures usually specify a tire size and apply only to that particular size. Usually it is permissable and recommended to increase tire pressure a bit ( 2 to 5 pounds maybe) if driving at sustained high speeds. I think, but am not sure, that VW states so in the drivers handbook. There is a liability issue here, remember Ford and Firestone, so manufacturers try to keep their recommendations only to the original type of tire supplied.

The pressures printed on the tire itself refer to maximum safe pressures of that particular tire and should not be exceeded. Usually noted at maximum load of the vehicle, but does not speak to the particular type of vehicle and it's requirements. Clearly you do not want to select a tire which states a maximum pressure rating which is lower than the operating pressures published by the vehicle manufacturer.

Assuming your tires are the proper ones for your vehicle, I think the vehicle Manufacturer's pressures should be followed since a big concern is safe handling of the vehicle. The tires do perform as part of the suspension, absorbing impacts, etc and maintaining stability when pushed about by wind on the road.

Low tire pressure is extremely dangerous for sustained high speed driving and can result in heat build up and complete tire failure, sometimes at speed. That is what I would be most concerned about. All those shredded rubber bits spread around on the Interstate roads are from exploded tires on 18 wheelers, usually caused by heat build up.

All The Best

Bob