Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Jun 2003 15:44:07 -0700
From:         Strawn <scstrawn@EEE.ORG>
Subject:      "Dealer Disaster" Update - kinda long, sorry...

Hi List, (My original post was on 4/30/03 about head replacement done by a dealer, followed by a blown coolant hose, engine failure, and subsequent battle with my "Sweetheart" service manager... ;-)

I've just had an e-mail from a listee asking for an update and suggesting I post one to the list, so here we go... When last I wrote about Vanna White ('89 Westy), she had been towed from the dealer (Invoice saying "needs engine replacement, customer to tow") back up to Eric the independent mechanic who had originally referred my to the dealer for head replacement (dealer parts/ dealer warranty/ he thought best way to go and recommended a specific mechanic there)....

While the battle with the dealer goes on, the good news is that Vanna is up and running, with her original engine intact. Eric's invoice notes: -Check out motor - overheated. Blown water hose #1 cylinder. -R&R valve covers - no burnt smell -R&R #1,#2 rocker arms. Check head torque - good. -Readjust valves -Replace water hose -Replace spark plugs -Start motor - no problem found -Check fan operation - good -Change motor oil and filter -Install new fuel filter

So no, she didn't "need engine replacement" (a diagnosis made without even a cursory examination of the engine). And yes, the dealer did neglect to change the fuel filter despite installing new fuel injectors and fuel line, and did neglect/decline to replace spark plugs despite my asking them to "get her running right while you have her there and apart". The heads the dealer installed were one AMC (don't know if new or rebuilt), one definitely rebuilt - they did not notify me that they were not using new parts.

Had one episode of the dreaded hesitation problem (never previously a problem) after I got her home. Eric put in a ground from AFM, which he has had good results with in the past with similar problems, and he has a spare harness for me to try out if problems recur. Drove her around last weekend under a variety of conditions (local, freeway, mountains) and so far, so good. And yes I do know that I still need to change out all the coolant hoses, but that has to wait until if and when I get some money back from the dealer, which leads to ....

I filed complaints through the BBB and the California Bureau of Automotive Repair and got immediate confirmation from both. Fortunately, the BAR has assigned the case to a field investigator, which means that he will be talking with the dealer folks in person rather than on the phone. The investigator called me (after his regular office hours!) as soon as he got my extensive paper work (7 pages of notes, 3 pages of pictures, copies of my handwritten notes and all invoices - document, document, document...). Fortunately again, he is a former mechanic who has worked on water-cooled Westy's and is familiar with their idiosyncrasies including the head problems. With help from list members, I decided to ask for partial return of the original labor charges (as the repair was substandard and incomplete), partial return of the cost of the heads (used rebuilt without letting me know - I would have taken it back up to Eric and let him put in a long block motor if I'd know they were using rebuilt parts), cost of tow to dealer after hose blew and to Eric's shop from dealer (BAR can't mediate for tow charges but can mention it), cost of repairs at Eric's (original repairs only - he worked on the probably-unrelated hesitation problem at no charge). I also listed what I was NOT asking for compensation for ... other parts used in original dealer repair, 1 month without van when original estimate for time of repair was 2 weeks, lost vacation trip, cleaning of front seat (remember the shop cat blasting the driver's seat with potent tom cat urine? - I have cats, I know how to clean this stuff up), and the condescending treatment from the service manager (remember the "Sweetheart" comment?). ;-)

...and that's about it. I am most pleased that Vanna White is up and running once again (fingers and toes crossed, knocking wood, etc....). I'll keep you posted as to her condition and the Ongoing Battle, and once again thanks to all who helped me with this. I got an incredible amount of information which allowed me to talk with Eric (who is great about explaining things to me, by the way) - and the BAR investigator - much more intelligently, and hopefully I'll be a better Westy owner for all I've learned and am learning from the list. This group is amazingly generous with their individual and collective wisdom, and I appreciate it immensely! Sally Strawn ...and "Vanna White"