Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Jun 2003 15:04:30 -0700
From:         Jim Ellis <ellisjames@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Buses By The Falls-NO  Buses Of The Corn-YES
Comments: To: VW_VINTAGE_list <vintagebus@type2.com>
Comments: cc: VWVANFULLTIMERS <VWVANFULLTIMERS@yahoogroups.com>

"Greg Potts" <greg@pottsfamily.ca> was kind enough to forward this information. For additional info or discussion please contact Greg, not myself. -ellis\

Unfortunately, BBTF isn't an organized event this year. There will be buses camping at Campark resort in Niagara Falls (Call 1-877-CAMPARK), but there is no central organization and no schedule of events. Campark is just a gathering spot for some volks going to the JitterBug the next day.

On the other Hand... I recently released this information about Buses Of The Corn to the type2 and vintagebus mailing lists, and it has been posted to thesamba.com as well. . If you can suggest any additional avenues for promotion of the event it would be appreciated. Forwarding this info to the lists quoted in your earlier message would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Greg Potts Toronto, Ontario, Canada

1973/74/79 Westfakia Conversion **Bob the Tomato** 1977 Sunroof Automatic http://www.pottsfamily.ca/westfakia

############################# Buses Of the Corn is August 8th - 10th 2003 visit http://www.geocities.com/busesofthecorn #############################

There are now just 9 weeks to go before Buses Of The Corn in Whitby, Ontario Canada. BOTC 2003 will be held August 8th-10th.

This year will be the third Buses Of the Corn, and things are shaping up to be every bit as good as last year's event. Even better, actually -- www.GermanSupply.com has stepped in to subsidize the camping fees and helped us get the price of a VWonderful event down to just $8Cdn (slightly over $US5) for the whole weekend! This includes camping fees for Friday and Saturday and the corn for the pot-luck cornroast on Saturday night.

Please email Busesofthecorn@pottsfamily.ca and let me know if you're interested in attending so I have an idea how many to expect.

History Lesson: ~~~~~~~~~~~~ In 2001 BOTC was just a place to hangout during the weekend of the Great Canadian Bug Show. In 2002 the GCBS changed to a one-day event and we scaled up BOTC to offer Saturday activities like the VW Camping Competition, Frisbee Golf and the Driving Skillz Challenge. These turned out to be a great success and we're definitely going to be bringing them back this year. Our long-distance award last year went to a split-window from New Hampshire, and others travelled from as far as West Virginia and Michigan to attend. Last year we had 40 buses, up from 15 in 2001.

Geography Lesson: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Heber Down Conservation Area is located just North of Whitby, about 25 miles east of Toronto, Ontario. The camping facilities at BOTC is somewhat... rustic. We prefer this campground because it is close to Toronto, affordable and pretty private. Being at the end of a 3/4 mile gravel road we just don't get a lot of drive-through gawkers. (although a few of the hikers using the trails nearby have been known to stare at all the funny looking campers sometimes.) There are two large permanent picnic shelters and and plenty of non-flush toilets. Coin-op showers are available, and there is running water. There is a VERY limited amount of electricity so please don't count on having a hookup. If you need one for medical reasons please inquire off-list and we will make sure that it can be accounted for. Pets must be kept on a leash at all times. "Red Cup Policy" applies as usual, so be cool.

The weather in early August should be just about perfect in Southern Ontario. 80-degree days, and 60-70 degree nights are typical. It hardly ever rains. (Ha!) The campground is in a rural setting and well away from smelly livestock, urban pollution and noisy transportation corridors.

BOTC Events: ~~~~~~~~~~~

Tie Dye Workshop: Friday Night & Saturday Morning For 2003 we are introducing a new event... we will be having a Tie-Dye Workshop on Friday night and Saturday morning. Skilled instructors will be available to help you create your own psychedelic masterpiece, so bring your own items to color or buy a shirt from us on-site. Blank T-shirts will be available cheap at the event in a variety of sizes. In addition to the Tie-Dye, we will also have a simple screen-printing rig set up to add a BOTC event logo to people's shirts if they would like it. Details on this event will be going on the website soon. There will be no mail-order shirts this year, so you'll just have to come and make your own!

If you are interested in the Tie-Dye Workshop please let me know beforehand so we can bring in enough supplies.

Full Moon Bus Club Breakfast Burritos This is a wonderful, co-operative event invented by the Full Moon Bus Club in the Carolina Mountains. Those folks really know how to get together and have a good time in their buses. How does it work? Glad you asked! ...All you have to do is bring along an ingredient! Bring enough to feed your group, plus maybe a wee bit extra. See our website for the ingredient list, and e-mail me so I'll know what you're bringing. http://www.pottsfamily.ca/VW_type2/BOTC/Burrito.html

Bus Camping Competition: Saturday Morning This one is as fun to watch as it is to compete in: From a moving start, contestants stop their bus, set up for bedtime, and put head to pillow. Then set up a for a meal, and consume one mouthful of a food item. Next it's relax mode, and time to sit back and relax on a beach chair. Finally, contestants pack up and get back in the bus, and the clock stops as soon as the wheels turn. Extra points may be awarded for style, and penalty points are deducted for sloppiness. Last year's fastest uncorrected time was 47 seconds! Teams or single contestants may compete.

Driving Skillz Competition: Saturday Afternoon This will involve a slalom course, followed by a test to see how close one can park to a pole without actually hitting it. Then you do it again, back the way you came... IN REVERSE, and you have to back up to the marker this time. Once the slalom and parking tests are completed there is a parallel parking test and points are tallied based on a composite score on all 5 components. This event was a real crowd-pleaser last year. Licensed drivers only, please.

Frisbee Golf: All weekend The meadow adjacent to the camping area is a perfect site for a 9-basket frisbee golf course, so be sure to bring your favorite flying disk and play a round. We'll have a spare or two available if you don't already own one.

Kids Scavenger Hunt. Just as the day afternoon is getting long and the kids are getting bored, that is when we distribute the award-winning BOTC scavenger hunt lists. In teams or singles, no-one has ever come back with more than half of the many items that are on the list. But everything on the list is in the park somewhere...

Pot-Luck Dinner & Awards BOTC provides the corn, but it helps if campers can also bring along a side dish or dessert. If your last name starts with a letter from A-O, bring a side dish. If it's P-Z, bring a dessert. After dinner is cleared away we'll award the Event Winners and distribute the door prizes.

Volunteers to help out and door prize donations are welcome. No previous experience required. Please e-mail busesofthecorn@pottsfamily.ca if you would like to help out.

For More Information: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Keep informed of what's planned and see pictures from last year and 2001 at: http://www.geocities.com/busesofthecorn

Download and print a PDF brochure to share with your net-challenged bus-friends: http://www.pottsfamily.ca/VW_type2/BOTC/BOTC2003.pdf