Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:31:02 -0700
From:         "Phil S." <napszeerf@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Heidelberg Radio Install Problem

I have a JVC "DIN" chassis sterio and it tended to want to slide out and not fit flush. I pushed it in flush then and ran a flathead screwdriver through the ashtray hole.....this way i could bend up the metal tongues that are in the JVC housing(using the screwdriver).These tongues press against the inside of the metal dashboard and hold my JVC flush. I dont know if yours has these metal tongues or not.

Phil 84' Westy, Tiico powered

--- Jeff Stewart <fonman4277@EARTHLINK.NET> wrote: > Hey Folks, > When I bought my '84 Westy, it had no radio, > and I stuck a Sony am/fm cassette deck I had in > there, only problem was the Sony was too deep and it > stuck out of the dash about 1/2 inch or so. Two > weeks ago I found a Heidelberg am/fm cassette deck > on eBay, so I bought it figuring it should > fit-wrong-it doesn't fit any better than the Sony, > as it too is too deep. The seller told me it came > out of an '85 Vanagon. Is there a spacer plate or > something I could be missing? Did the dash change > between '84 and '85? I can see a notch in the > plastic panel behind the radio slot where the radio > chassis is supposed to fit, but if I push either > radio in so it's flush with the dash, it starts to > push upward at the rear and pushes the ashtray out. > I wanted the Heidelberg for originality, but since > it fits no better than the Sony, the Sony may stay > since it actually sounds better. Any ideas (short of > cutting any dash sections out) on how to get either > radio to fit? TIA, Jeff